97 Challenger 787 won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgokc33

Ok, so I'm new to the boat world and getting a pretty good initiation. Recently bought a 97 Challenger 787... started and ran well when I went to test it (met him at his storage unit where we de-winterized it.) The next day, was difficult to start, but would, then would run well, then bog down and not plane out- running about 15 mph and 5000rpm. The 3rd, and last day it was able to see any water time, it was VERY difficult to start, would die in idle, run well briefly, then bog down and not plane out again. After that experience, installed new fuel filters, plugs (which were new to begin with, as well as a new battery), rebuilt the carbs- set to shop manual recommendations and added a fuel treatment (SeaFoam). So, after those 'improvements', while on the trailer, with hose attached, it would start right away as long as starting fluid was used, and idle well- tuned the idle to 3000rpm per recommendations. As soon as any throttle was applied, it would bog down and die if throttle was maintained. That was as of yesterday. So, this evening I put it on the lake to see how it would do and get an idea of how to proceed, and it wouldn't start. Cranks well, and almost started a couple of times (with starter fluid), but wouldn't kick in. Thought I was heading in the right direction, but apparently not.

I have a fuel selector valve on order, and have an idea of a few other things to look at overall (RAVE valve, inspect the fuel baffle/sending unit, wear ring and neoprene seal), but I'm just not really sure where to go from here. I'm not much of an engine guy/mechanic, but I'm slowly learning. Any direction here would be GREATLY appreciated!

Were the carbs rebuilt with OEM gaskets or aftermarket?
Do you have Grey Tempo Fuel Lines?
Do not use Starting Fluid on 2-strokes, it has no oil in it and it can not lubricate the engine.
Have you done a compression test? If so, what were the numbers? If not, go rent a tester and do a compression test.

The rebuild kit was OEM. The fuel lines were replaced 2-3 years ago. The starting fluid I used was supposed to be lubricating, but I won't use it from here out (though it sure did feel good to have something start the stupid thing.) No compression test- will take care of that tomorrow and post. Thank you for looking at this!

Compression test with cold engine showed 120psi in the Mag, 122psi in the PTO- and it figures, it tried to start during the test. So after testing it, I hooked everything back up and turned the fuel on, cranked it and it fired up. I only ran it about 5 seconds, but it was idling at 3000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back