96 XP turns over but won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanno23

I have a 96 XP and it turns over but will not fire at all even if I spray starter fluid into the carbs. The last time the ski ran was a little less than a year ago and it kept bogging down and just shut off in the middle of the lake and wouldn't start back up. The fuel lines are not the old grey ones. Should the next step be to clean the carbs even if it doesn't fire with starting fluid?

I have a 96 XP and it turns over but will not fire at all even if I spray starter fluid into the carbs. The last time the ski ran was a little less than a year ago and it kept bogging down and just shut off in the middle of the lake and wouldn't start back up. The fuel lines are not the old grey ones. Should the next step be to clean the carbs even if it doesn't fire with starting fluid?

Never hurts to pull the carbs and do a through rebuild with some new OEM kits, especially if it's been a while. Verify you're getting fuel at the carbs and a good spark at the plugs, some on here have used a spark tester you connect inline to verify. Stay away from starter fluid, not a good idea...just use a little premixed fuel.

Ditto on the NO starter fluid...use pre-mixed gas/oil (40:1 or 50:1) in a squirt bottle. Starter fluid has no lubrication and washes the cylinder walls...not a good idea.

Squirting fuel directly into the carb throats should get you something....the engine should at least cough and try to start. At this point...you should get a good compression guage and test the compression in each cylinder. If the compression is good, then its time to verify that you have good spark. Fuel, compression and spark SHOULD at least get the ski to TRY to start and run even for a moment.

By and large...the greatest complaint (and don't forget, the ski is 24 years old) is the fule delivery system of these older skis. very often times....it really does come down to good carb maintenance and /rebuilds.....follow the Carb sticky post at the top of the FORUM...ALL the way through, NO shortcuts! - and only GENUINE Mikuni parts (otherwise you will just be chasing your tail)....experience dictates. ;)

If he's not even getting it to cough with starter fluid, I'd say he doesn't have spark. You can take a plug, stick it in the boot and hold it against something shiny on the motor. You should see a fat spark as the motor turns over. Careful to not touch the plug as it'll use you as ground and you'll see what 10k volts feels like.

If he's not even getting it to cough with starter fluid, I'd say he doesn't have spark. You can take a plug, stick it in the boot and hold it against something shiny on the motor. You should see a fat spark as the motor turns over. Careful to not touch the plug as it'll use you as ground and you'll see what 10k volts feels like.
BBBBzzzzztttttttt ! MF'er....that'll tickle the short hairs for sure!!!!! o_O

I’ve checked both plugs and they do have spark. I’m waiting on a compression tester now.

I’ve checked both plugs and they do have spark. I’m waiting on a compression tester now.
OY......fuel and spark......no COUGH.....don't like the sound of that.....Matt is probably right....the compression might not bode well here......keep us posted.....

Yeah I figured. Your description of the moment of death was very good and I've been there. The good news is that you have a great (maybe best ever) model ski and it is definitely worth fixing.

Yea, you need a top end bud. Best to throw a new crank in her too, but yours might serve you well for a while. It's tough to know the state of the bottom end. The right way to do it is to get the next size pistons and get your cylinders bored to match. Pull the head to see what size pistons it's running. There should be a stamp on the top. Rebuild the carbs too but only use genuine mikuni kits. It's common knowledge that aftermarket is crap and has a high chance of not running right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back