96 xp starter rebuild problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

davekessler

I have rebuilt my OEM starter on my 96 XP twice now. Each time the wire inside the starter going from the positive post to the brush works for a little bit and then snaps. Any suggestions? I have checked to make sure I dont pinch it. I have made sure its going the right direction and not wrappping back around the wrong way. Anyone have this problem?

You gotta be super careful when you assemble it not to twist it. Are you using aftermarket brushes? I vaguely remember guys using the aftermarket stuff avoided one brand/seller. Just not sure why. Hopefully someone will chime in.

You gotta be super careful when you assemble it not to twist it. Are you using aftermarket brushes? I vaguely remember guys using the aftermarket stuff avoided one brand/seller. Just not sure why. Hopefully someone will chime in.
FWIW Caltric is absolute garbage....

Following this as I just swapped out my starter and planned to rebuild it and toss it back in, then rebuild the "new" one as a spare.

So I bought an "oem" starter off eBay. Does not have the ND stamp but does have denso label but says thailand and not Japan. Good starter or did i get ripped off?

Here is pick of the label. Peeled the paint back and it says DENSO but it says made in thailand. There is no "ND" on the starter clutch assembly which makes me think its an aftermarket knock off that someone put the sticker on.

Attachments

• Starter.jpg
    Starter.jpg
    972.4 KB · Views: 18
Looks like a repaint. Could I bother you for more pics. Just the label tells me something is denso. Be generous, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back