96 XP Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

riffe723

Putting this out there for documentation. Some of you know I bought a load of x-4's a couple months. I'm in the middle of my girlfriends 95 720 right now.

Today I started messing with my 96 xp. Thing was a wreck with a lot of nice parts. This is a back to stock build. Everything going back to stock and I'm going to sell it off to fund my 95 xp 800 performance build. I've had it for a couple months now. Motor, pump, etc has been pulled out. It has a brand new fuel tank in it.

Anyways here's the start of this. Plan is to make everything stock and look correct and save as much money as possible while providing the market with a nice ski for someone. Here's a few pics.

After a good clean and a hood restore, it's going to clean up really well. This will be a slow project until my girlfriends 95 is back together.FB_IMG_1545949007143.jpeg20181227_152426.jpeg20181227_152925.jpeg20181227_162943.jpeg

Lesson is, learn from the people on this forum. Honestly, how the hood looks is thanks to members here. I went to Walmart and bought the following

Blue scotch bite pad
Soft scrub
Wipe new
Heavy cutting compound

Those things will make all oxidized hoods look new again.

I got the soft scrub. :) I think I already ruinated the XP hood by using the heat thing but I got more hoods that need some love. :D

Did some wrenching today on the 96. The motor is together now, it's not pretty but this is a budget ski that I plan to sell so I'm trying to keep the cost low while also providing the used market with a good, reliable ski. I tore it all apart, did crank seals, all new gaskets, and new wrist pin bearings. Top end was in excellent shape, 135psi after reassembly. Engine pressure checked correctly. Got it back in the ski and I have no spark. Had no spark when I started as well but it was full of rust and basically locked up with all the corrosion in the stator cover so it wouldn't even turn over. Also something that I sorted out when reassembling. When I tried to start it, it had a click from the relay in the mpem. Crossed the solenoid and it cranks over good. Now that was how I checked spark.

Should I get spark when crossing the solenoid or should I replace the solenoid and try again because the solenoid is obviously not working.

I plan to go through the manual and check all the electrical components tomorrow.

Here are some pics.20190113_115026.jpeg20190113_134351.jpeg

Some thoughts. I'm no guru but I've spent some time on this. :)

Did you clean the pick up and all that stuff inside the stator cover? One of my GTXs wouldn't spark because I had some junk on the pick up. If the MPEM doesn't detect rotation it won't fire. The GTX got temperamental every now and again and no fire when starting. After removing and reinserting the key it fired right up. Check your holder relay fuse. Check the wire coming from the MPEM to the solenoid to see if it is hot. Might be red/purple stripe but I'm not positive. It's been a while. Could be the MPEM. Good Luck ! :)

Last edited:
Well I thought it was the magnets on the flywheel because it was pretty rusty. Changed that out and check continuity of the small black wire. Continuity checked out, still no spark. I happened to get a stator, flywheel and cover second hand for a good price and I got a known good coil and solenoid from nick at westside powersports. That should pretty much take care of the electrical parts. Let's hope I have spark.

Honestly wasn't an issue for me to by the parts though because I'll be building my 95 so the extra parts certainly wont hurt

I certainly don't want to take any business away from Nick. I'm a friend and a good customer of his myself. However there is no need for you throw parts at it and hope it comes alive. We can figure this out. My previous answer was deceptively simple. Once you get it spinning hard at every press of the start/stop button we can start testing other things. I'm sure you have a 12v test light around there. Pull the white wire off the + side of the coil and crank with the plugs out while having the probe end on the end of the wire and the other end of the tester grounded. You should see a slight glow when spinning it over. You won't get spark if your jumping the solenoid because the coil signal runs through the MPEM and you need the "beep beep" first.

I certainly don't want to take any business away from Nick. I'm a friend and a good customer of his myself. However there is no need for you throw parts at it and hope it comes alive. We can figure this out. My previous answer was deceptively simple. Once you get it spinning hard at every press of the start/stop button we can start testing other things. I'm sure you have a 12v test light around there. Pull the white wire off the + side of the coil and crank with the plugs out while having the probe end on the end of the wire and the other end of the tester grounded. You should see a slight glow when spinning it over. You won't get spark if your jumping the solenoid because the coil signal runs through the MPEM and you need the "beep beep" first.
I'll try that today

I had a bit of a run in with the 2003 GTI. (No Fire and solenoid clicking but not engaging) The connections on the coil wires were very corroded. So I cleaned everything up in the rear elect. box. Then in cleaning I believe I opened up one of the connectors on the solenoid and it was loose. I chased that problem for a while. Funny thing.... the solenoid would stick or act up and the beeping would stop. I'd wiggle the connector on the solenoid and give it a tap and the beeping would start again. I would have never suspected something on the back end would cause such issues. As much as I hated it previously, I am a believer in chasing down the wires. They tell the story. Good Luck

Little update on this post. Key is not communicating with the mpem so I boxed three keys and three mpems and sent them to Dan for programming. I'll be out for a couple weeks for work so I'm sure they will be back and should have it fired up then.

Little project update. MPEM should be back from Dan soon. I got some goodies on the ski to clean it up a bit. New ODI rogue grips, black tip neoprene handlebar cover, and blacktip seat cover. Cleaned it up quite a lot. I'm going to get some black vinyl and make my own xp 800 decals, and I ordered some black BRP decals for it to break up the yellow a bit. This thing should be ready to sell after that mpem comes in. Its actually already sold to a buddy, and he is waiting for it, so it wont be long and it will be getting passed on to him. Here's a couple pics.20190218_103835.jpeg20190218_103843.jpeg20190218_103850.jpeg

Got the MPEM in today. Worked without a hitch. Installed the Coffman pipe on it and jetted the carbs up. Putting stock intake back on it. Runs good. Need a couple decals, and a battery and this one is sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back