96 XP goes into intermittent 'limp mode"

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys here is the update. I rebuilt both carbs along with new needle and seats, and changes all the grey fuel lines. I took the ski to the launch and ran it on the trailer for a good 5-10 minutes so I could check for fuel leaks and adjust carbs if needed. It ran great, very crisp and powerful. I put it in the water today for a ride, and I couldn't get it to plane, same chugging sounding like a rev limiter issue. I "limped" it to the dock and changed the plugs....same thing. If i turn it off, and take off it will jump out of the water and then start the chugging and come off plane. Any more ideas?

-Do a double check and take a picture of what red wire you disconnected.........

-What you are explaining is exactly a recitifier issue. Order a good used oem one or a new oem one or swap with a buddies good known ski and install it in your ski. I had the EXACT same issues, I could yank the key to mine or shut if off and restart and it would blast off for 30 secs, then back to bs hesitating. Ended up doing complete fuel system because it needed to be done ( replace gray lines and fix fuel sender ) and it didn't change a thing. Finally got around to swapping the rectifier with the one on my gsx and the ski has been perfect ever since.

-It takes literally less than 10 mins to change, takes longer to get box open with that darn thick seal.

Rob

Ok guys here is the update. I rebuilt both carbs along with new needle and seats, and changes all the grey fuel lines. I took the ski to the launch and ran it on the trailer for a good 5-10 minutes so I could check for fuel leaks and adjust carbs if needed. It ran great, very crisp and powerful. I put it in the water today for a ride, and I couldn't get it to plane, same chugging sounding like a rev limiter issue. I "limped" it to the dock and changed the plugs....same thing. If i turn it off, and take off it will jump out of the water and then start the chugging and come off plane. Any more ideas?

Ok, when i originally disconnected the rectifier, I had a 2-fold problem, i was that is was boggy like limp mode, the second was that it would just shut off suddenly. When i disconnected the rectifier, it would still shut off. Now I disconnected the rectifier, and it ran great, for a good 10 minutes, very responsive and crisp! I will order a new rectifier first thing tomorrow. i think i have it.....with all your help. thank you! BTW, when i was re-building the carbs and changing the lines, i found the battery cables to be very loose, which must have been my shutting off issue!

There we go! I knew it was that rectifier. Now go enjoy the rest of summer :hurray:

Ok, when i originally disconnected the rectifier, I had a 2-fold problem, i was that is was boggy like limp mode, the second was that it would just shut off suddenly. When i disconnected the rectifier, it would still shut off. Now I disconnected the rectifier, and it ran great, for a good 10 minutes, very responsive and crisp! I will order a new rectifier first thing tomorrow. i think i have it.....with all your help. thank you! BTW, when i was re-building the carbs and changing the lines, i found the battery cables to be very loose, which must have been my shutting off issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back