96 XP 800 2 related issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

stang354

Hi everyone, my name is Anthony and I am from Long Island NY. I have owned my XP since it was brand new. I have no mods to it and it has been the most reliable ski ever! It still runs great except:

1. When I start it and pull away from the dock, I have NO throttle above idle. If I hit the throttle it sounds like it is only firing on one cylinder and goes nowhere but it won't die and I do see a bit more smoke than my brother's 96 XP. So by the time I get to the end of the no wake zone, it usually all of a sudden wakes up and I have full throttle operation and she runs like a bat outta hell.

I can jump waves all day and she never misses a beat. BUT, when I get to the flat and go WOT, she first runs perfect, then I lose power, then it runs good, then lose power and bogs. If I hang out for a second, she will get to full throttle again and the cycle continues. My brother has the exact ski and when we race, whenever mine bogs a bit, he pulls ahead, then I can maintain the gap between us until she bogs again.

I swapped out the CDI box with a brand new one that I happened to have in my parts bin from a previous troubleshoot and still no good. New set of plugs, and still the same. Put the fuel knob to reserve, still no good and finally crack the fuel cap open a bit and still no good. Have not checked compression yet. I also replaced the oil injection pump last year and checked the calibration.

Am I looking at a carb rebuild and rave cleaning?

Sorry for the loooong post!

Couple other facts,

Motor was replaced under warranty on 1997 due to the oil injection screws falling out and motor siezing.

I have never cleaned the carbs or the rave valves. I have no idea how many hours I've ridden it in 11 years but for the last 2 years I have only ridden it about 16 hours total.

Rave!

The manual suggests you clean the RAVE's once a year. If they are sticking at times, this can cause the problem your having. You could also have trash in your carb fuel filter. This isn't the inline filter, but the one in the carb. It's very small, smaller than the tip of your pinky finger.......less gas, more oil, lotsa smoke..........something else to consider in cleaning the carbs.
Just for a clean bill of health, I'd do the compression check too!.......
Let me know what you find out. I'll be curious to know if you find a solution to your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back