96 SPX 720 bogging off idle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got this 96 SPX 720 dual carbs ski that runs like a bat out of hell at WOT but bogs off idle to the point that sometimes it will shut.
I've rebuild the carbs, changed plugs, pop off pressure is 32-35psi, new fuel hoses, bypassed water separator, cleaned selector valve (flows easily through both channels), I'm thinking about converting this ski to a single carb if I can't figure this out. 145psi compression.

It runs lean off idle...pilot jet to small?

I say it runs lean because I've had it in the water with the nose wedged against the dock and airbox lid off, if I cover most of the spark arrestor plate with my hand restricting air flow the bog is gone and it revs as intended....sounds healthier too.

All 3 pilot jet holes are clear and flow as intended when carb cleaner is shot through the pilot jet hole.

When I ride it I have to work the throttle with the choke to get past that first half and don't let it bog down.... once i get past that spot and it starts revving it'll run on the main jet all day long without skipping a beat....fast little thing (I have a 97&98 GTI that top out at 45mph and this little SPX runs circles around them).

Anyway I'm getting to the end of my patience and will convert it to single carb like the GTIs are if I can't figure it out.

Does anyone know where to buy pilot jets and what size do I need ? Could that be my issue ? Please advise!

Thank you in advance.

P.S. - should I try another set of carbs? I feel like if I'm gonna spend $$$ on another set of carbs I might as well convert it to a single carb.

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_213007.jpg
    IMG_20210713_213007.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210713_213002.jpg
    IMG_20210713_213002.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 8
I did a little searching online and it appears that for my year and model the pop off pressure should be 36-60psi....I'm at 32-35psi.....wouldn't that mean the needle opens sooner and fuel gets in the carb faster ? I don't see how that will cause a lean condition....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-17-10-17-07-449.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-07-17-10-17-07-449.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 6
Did you use the spring in the carb kits?
Did you use only genuine Mikuni parts?
Did you use new needles and seats?

Nope, that is not a Genuine Mikuni kit. You can tell by the pictures of the parts and the price.
Any aftermarket kits are junk and will cause running issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back