96 Seadoo xp no start issue (spark)?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagsli

Hi everyone I’m new to this forum,
My 1996 Seadoo xp is having starting issues. I have replaced a couple electrical components and now my engine is cranking and seems to have good compression I have cleaned my carbs and verified fuel is getting into engine. I even put some fuel directly into The carb and cylinders but still nothing. What’s weird is I did this same thing the other night and it started to fire but it was late so I never ran it more then 10 seconds. I have new plugs and I have verified spark outside of engine but it would only spark sometimes and the spark looking weak possibly. Any recommendation of what to check?

Check compression, check spark with a spark tester. If these are good and your getting fuel check rotary timing.

Good clarification on the dess Miki. Are you sure the key is holding the button down on the lanyard. Those old keys wear out. Hold the button down with your finger and press the start button. Probably not the issue but worth a try.

As far as the loss of spark on your 96XP...... Success starts with a fresh battery. If the voltage gets drug below 10v while it's cranking then it does not fire the plugs. The plugs must be NGK BR8ES by the way.

If you have that and it still has no spark when spinning it over then pull up the rear E-box by the battery. Check the lag bolt at the base of the coil to make sure all the ground wires are clean and tight. To determine that the coil is receiving it's signal to fire pull the white wire off the + side off the coil and put a 12 test light (bulb style) in there with the clamp end on ground. When you spin the engine over like your trying to start it you should see a faint glow in the test light.

As far as the loss of spark on your 96XP...... Success starts with a fresh battery. If the voltage gets drug below 10v while it's cranking then it does not fire the plugs. The plugs must be NGK BR8ES by the way.

If you have that and it still has no spark when spinning it over then pull up the rear E-box by the battery. Check the lag bolt at the base of the coil to make sure all the ground wires are clean and tight. To determine that the coil is receiving it's signal to fire pull the white wire off the + side off the coil and put a 12 test light (bulb style) in there with the clamp end on ground. When you spin the engine over like your trying to start it you should see a faint glow in the test light.

Hi I tried the test on the Seadoo seems like I’m getting a green ground light on my test light from that white wire as it cranks over. I know my mpem is good and cdi. Wondering if it’s not the stator but not sure how to test stator

Thanks for the help got it figured out. Made a video of testing the ignition system on a 96 Seadoo xp if you ever see anybody have this issue send them this video:
it has all of the manufacturers specs and how to test in it!

Hi there I’m not sure where my problem lies I’ve been up and down the ski I believe the mpem is not getting ground from the stator harness. Ran a test for continuity between the black yellow wire coming out of the stator to the block ground and got no continuity. Currently I’m getting no power to dash no beep no click absolutely nothing. If I get the black wire inside the ebox on the ignition coil and jump it straight to the negative terminal on the battery my dash lights up and my (on off) button turns the motor over. Hence why I believe ground is stopped at stator harness any help guys? Appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back