96 gtx problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

snsbuck

Hey guys, need some advice. I've got a 96 GTX that runs great sometimes. Other times not so great. I've had it about 2 years. Just after I got it, I rebuilt the carbs with OEM kits, replaced fuel lines, installed inline filters, replaced the selector & trap o-ring. Ran spectacular the past 2 summers but this year it developed a problem. When first put in the water it'll fire right up & when I start to accelerate it will bog down bad. It feels like its misfiring. If I shut it down & restart it'll go like a bat out of hell for a short distance & then do the same again. It may do this once or it may do it a few times but then will run great all day. It has gotten worse recently. Occasionally it will do it while running across the water at 40mph just like someone flipped a switch but just as quick it'll take off again & run perfect again. While on the water I've tried pulling the choke but it will die. I tend to think its spark related. On the trailer I've ran it & it sounds like a "hit or miss" engine. Full throttle will only get to about 3300rpms. I've checked compression...142ish, rechecked every connection in the fuel system, removed inline filter, replaced spark plugs(old ones looked great & new ones looked great after one trip to the water), trimmed wires but it still acts up sometimes...I've grounded one wire at a time & started & when acting up it makes no difference if I have both wires on plugs or either of them grounded to the grounding post. I've read about the pick up coil bracket in the mag housing being a common issue on the years & engines. Is that a possibility for the symptoms I'm experiencing ? I have no problem checking it but don't want to pull it all apart if it's pointless & couldn't cause this. It's a salt water ski & fear snapping bolts & creating more problems

It could be the rectifier acting up. Open up the gray box and disconnect the red wire from the rectifier and see if the issue goes away. Just make sure your battery is charged first since by doing this you are disabling the charging system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back