96 GTX No power at all

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astiles27

So first off I know questions like this have been asked before because I've read through them all probably a dozen times and I'm still stuck lol but I feel like mines a little different. I have a 96 GTX that is getting no power, beep or light what so ever. Its a new battery, I have checked and cleaned my terminals, I have checked all my fuses, replaced my starter solenoid with a brand new one, I have checked my dess post including checking the ohms and just overall been checking all the connections looking for a clue as to what is wrong. I've also tried the technique where you press the start button 5 times hoping the dash would light up and it does nothing. I've ordered a new beeper but I don't think that will help diagnose what's wrong because none of that is getting power. I'm guessing its the MPEM because that what controls everything if I'm not mistaken, so I will be testing that soon when I get a chance. It could also have to do with whatever the other black relay thing is (excuse my lack of knowledge) in the rear electrical box but have cleaned that terminal so I feel that is not it. If anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Is the ground from the rear box connected to the negative terminal on the battery?

You need to verify good connection with a meter before you start changing parts. Verify that you are getting power to the mpem.

That small ground wire is a culprit sometimes corrosion builds up in the terminal where it is crimped to the wire

The terminal is fine, does all the power go through the starter relay? Because only the one terminal connected to the battery gives me a light when using a test light. I try using that and the multimeter and I get nothing at the front grey box.

The terminal is fine, does all the power go through the starter relay? Because only the one terminal connected to the battery gives me a light when using a test light. I try using that and the multimeter and I get nothing at the front grey box.

I am new to this whole electrical thing and I’m giving it my best shot lol

Well never mind I found the issue. I guess a new starter relay was already installed and the guy before me put the wire with the fuse on the wrong terminal. Switched it to the other after seeing it was different on the wiring diagram and boom power. Now I have to diagnose why I’m not getting fuel. Thanks

Rebuild the entire fuel system. Carbs lines shutoff check valves replace oring on water separator

Use genuine mikuni parts keep the springs that are currently in the carbs the ones in the kit are wrong

My carbs have been rebuilt and I replaced all the fuel lines and filters. This is a newly refurbished motor from SBT so I'm trying to do everything right to not screw it up lol. Now what I'm trying to do is build up pressure in my lines to feed the carbs but it looks like my Pressure Relief Valve either came apart or broke. This is the one right by the rail. I'm not sure if this can simply be glued back together or if its trash and I just need to buy a new one. Thanks

So first off I know questions like this have been asked before because I've read through them all probably a dozen times and I'm still stuck lol but I feel like mines a little different. I have a 96 GTX that is getting no power, beep or light what so ever. Its a new battery, I have checked and cleaned my terminals, I have checked all my fuses, replaced my starter solenoid with a brand new one, I have checked my dess post including checking the ohms and just overall been checking all the connections looking for a clue as to what is wrong. I've also tried the technique where you press the start button 5 times hoping the dash would light up and it does nothing. I've ordered a new beeper but I don't think that will help diagnose what's wrong because none of that is getting power. I'm guessing its the MPEM because that what controls everything if I'm not mistaken, so I will be testing that soon when I get a chance. It could also have to do with whatever the other black relay thing is (excuse my lack of knowledge) in the rear electrical box but have cleaned that terminal so I feel that is not it. If anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I had same issue on my 96 GTX...threw me for a loop for a few weeks. replaced beeper, key connector ...still nothing. I started from scratch and checked every connection. We found a loose one in the eBox. the female end was bigger than it should be so it wasn't connecting all the time. I squeezed it tighter and added di-electrical grease to all connections. It has bee running like charm since then....back in 2014 I think.

I just had the same problem with mine, it wasn't getting fuel and checked everything. It turned out it was my fuel selection valve was stripped out. I took mine off and used a small wrench and turned it to the on position and boom! she fired right up. Hope this helps.

I just had the same problem with mine, it wasn't getting fuel and checked everything. It turned out it was my fuel selection valve was stripped out. I took mine off and used a small wrench and turned it to the on position and boom! she fired right up. Hope this helps.

I would replace that selector to be safe.

If anyones gotta chance to listen to this and maybe point me in the right direction as to whats wrong that would be great. I’ve cleaned the pos and neg wires and terminals for the starter but it seems like its now getting enough power. Also sounds very violent as if there is no oil or lube in the motor but my bottom end is lubed and its getting fuel because you can smell it and see it on the plugs. I’m not too sure where to go from here. Starter is new, solenoid is new, plugs are new and battery is new. Thanks

https://youtube.com/shorts/0w7CylRv3EQ?feature=share

That definitely doesn't sound like a newly rebuilt engine with a new starter and a new battery. Take your plugs out and turn the engine over by hand to see if it rotates smoothly without any sounds. Is the new starter an oem starter? If not I would suspect that is what's making noise because it's not fully engaging or correctly engaging with the engine when you start. Also check the charge on your new battery and make sure it is reading close to 12 V while cranking.

Yeah sadly I figured it didn’t sound right I just couldn’t figure out why. Being my first ski I’ve ever had or rebuilt I’m not exactly sure what its supposed to sound like lol. But yes I can move the motor by hand with the plugs out no problem so Ik nothings locked up (plus its brand new). It is not however an oem starter its just a random ebay one. So that may be my problem and I have not gotten a chance to test the starter while cranking.

Yeah, those non OEM starters are trouble. I bet it turns over fine with the plugs out when the starter isn’t under load. One other thing to check is how hot your battery cables are getting they can rot from the inside and lead to inconsistent starter engagement.

I’m starting to see that now haha what would you say is a good site to buy the oem starters? Something like the sbt ones? And that makes sense I’ll look at them.

West side powersports can hook you up or you can get one off eBay and plan on rebuilding it with a kit from OSDmarine. Either way should get you dialed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back