96 GTX blown piston

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC87SS

Had the ski out 2 weeks ago, had a great time and went through about 1/2 tank of gas. All was good put it on the trailer and came home. Went out this weekend, long no wake zone then ski would not go over 30mph. Shut it off then would not start. Came home, got it to start but was running ruff and didn't sound right. Also found one of the welch plugs was leaking a little.
Plugs were black, crusty and fouled so i picked up a new set today but before i put them in decided to check the compression, 125 Mag 50 PTO. Started pulling things apart.
All pics are Mag right and PTO left.

382.jpg

383.jpg

Mag
384.jpg

PTO
385.jpg

Looks like something was beating this up.

386.jpg

PTO Rave was leaking some oil but doesn't look like it was hitting.
I had cleaned them, new bellows, springs and o rings last year.

387.jpg

388.jpg

I have never done one but looks like a top end kit is in order.
So now the questions:
What caused this?
Can i do the top end kit in the ski or should i pull the motor?
I was supposed to take the skis to Destin Friday for the weekend, is this something i can complete by then if i get the parts Wednesday?
Where should i get the kit from?

Thanks,

215 project

(Just posted this and it deleted retyping)

I have the exact same ski and had the exact same issue last year long story short i rebuilt my top end with the motor in the ski over the winter... as for why it blew up idk but i have been driving it hard all summer with minimal problems so i just basically went with hey its basically a 20 year old ski that just needed some maintenance so i did it... got the kit through full bore and it took them about 2-3 weeks cant remember exactly for the turn around time so idk about a friday fix...

Actually the only difference ive seen from last year when it was running before the rebuild and now.. is the rpms im only pulling around 6500-6600 WOT and getting like 46 mph which hasnt really concerned me but figured id mention it and i will be looking at that this winter

Last edited by a moderator:
whats that leak inside the hull coming from the exhaust? are your welch plugs cracked too?

Just went back, saw that you said that as well.
yea, that can be welded for like $20 at a local shop if he's fair. I got both of my plugs done for about $20-25 I think.

It looks like the RAVE may have clipped the ring thats what i think happen to mine because when i pulled the RAVES there was 2 small knicks right at the edge of them.. ill post pictures later of mine

Pulled the motor last night.

444.jpg

Hull cleaned and ready.

445.jpg

Going to pull the jet pump tonight and check / replace the wear ring then load the ski on the trailer for the trip to Destin Friday morning.
A member here that will remain anonymous for now has offered to help me get this running in time to hit the water Saturday.

Stay tuned...........

Wish i could take credit but i am not putting the engine together, i will get my turn over the winter when i build a spare 787 and 657X to have sitting on the shelf in case the 95, 96 or 97 go down next year.

I pulled the jet pump, cleaned it up, checked the bearings and filled it with fresh fluid. Wear ring is at .016, nice and tight.

I also had to do a temp fix on the exhaust pipe. Hoping this hold up for the rest of the season.
Ground it down nice and flat.

458.jpg

Made an Aluminum cover plate.

459.jpg

Made a cardboard ring around the area to hold the JB Weld in place.

460.jpg

Mixed it up and poured it in.

461.jpg

Finished:

462.jpg

I will take some progress pictures as we assemble it tomorrow.

Oh and the engine is done waiting for me to get there.
Sure looks purdy....

463.jpg

464.jpg

Got the pipe that far you should of taken it to a shop and had it welded. I took mine to my Wife's high school she works at (vocational welding class). One day turn around. They did it for $50 a pipe. I painted them with a $5 can of gray engine high temp paint. Might take a little to find purple.

Iirc Lowe's has a purple that is a match Racerxxx mentioned it in one of his threads I agree with having it welded

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I want to have it welded but didn't have time, this all happened so quick.
Trust me it will be done right.
Thanks for the tip on the Purple paint, will look into that.

Lowes has Valspar sumptuous purple and is an exact match for the pipe then just use their clear over it.

What a wild week it has been. As you can see above i blew the top end on the 96 last Sunday. Wouldn't have been that bad except for the fact we had planned a ski trip to Destin for this weekend. The plan was to stop in Niceville on the way and pick up a 657X for my 95 from Matt Braley. When Matt heard about this ski he offered to put together a good used 787 that i could drop in and go. Then he went above and beyond and told me if i pulled my old engine and brought the ski he would help me get it in and also check everything else out to make sure i didn't have something causing a lean condition. This was finalized Wednesday morning so when i got home from work i started pulling the old engine and cleaning the hull. Thursday evening i pulled the jet pump, checked the wear ring, bearings, etc and refilled with new fluid. Did a temp fix on the welch plug,packed all the parts in the hull and loaded it back on the trailer. This morning we made the 3 hour trip to niceville where Matt was waiting to get this done. Took us about 4 hours from start to finish. He even let me do a couple things like tighten hose clamps and install the jet pump and he has the pictures to prove it. LOL
We got so busy i forgot to take may progress pics bet here is a couple and a video of it running.
Matt it was great meeting you and fun hanging out working on this today
Thanks Again!

477.jpg

478.jpg

479.jpg

[video]http://vid169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/MC87SS/Sea%20Doo/VIDEO0005_zpszp5swl3r.mp4[/video]

His work bench gave it away I knew it was [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Well thanks for the kind words. It was great meeting and working with you as well.

We did cover a lot today. I'm looking forward to hearing how it runs out there. I'm expecting good things. He did more then tighten hose clamps by the way.

Went through a tank of gas today, ski ran great. Unfortunately I sucked up some sand on the 97 and it overheated. Buzzer never went off, hopefully everything is OK.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Great to hear that it was out there running well. You can blow the sand out of those cooling line when you get to some compressed air. If the hotel has a hose to flush them with that will help a lot.

It felt real solid and had good throttle response. Water was choppy so it was hard to get a good indication but looks like about 6600 - 6700 max rpm. Plugs were good in the beginning but with the issues with the other ski i never checked them again.

Here is a couple videos from yesterday.

[video]http://vid169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/MC87SS/Sea%20Doo/Cruzin_zpsdlkxrnt6.mp4[/video]

[video]http://vid169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/MC87SS/Sea%20Doo/Wave%20Jumping_zpstwom3e0l.mp4[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back