96 GTX 787 Stator

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC87SS

Hey guys, been awhile since i have been here but i am back now.
Last year i somehow got about 5 gallons of gas in the hull and i didn't realize it until about 5 hours later. It appears the gas melted the stator winding and i now have a dead short. I have ordered a new one as well as a new starter since that was also submerged in the gas. I am going to pull the gas tank this weekend and see if i can find what caused the gas to leak but my question is will i be able to change the stator with the gas tank removed or does the motor need to come out?
Anything special i should look for or do while changing these parts?

Thanks,

Call your closest dealer and see if your ski is under the gas tank recall.l All you need to give them is the HIN number off the ski and they can check immediately.

Thanks, i will check with the dealer just to make sure.
What about changing the stator? Can it be done without pulling the motor?

I don't think the GTX is on the recall list, but worth a try.

those skis are 95s and yes, they do fall in the recall range.

edit: sorry i thought the picture of the two 96s in the OP were the skis you were talking about.

So i pulled the exhaust pipe and was able to get all the bolts off the stator cover but couldn't get the cover off.
I removed the front motor mount and hoisted the motor a couple inches and was able to get the cover off.
Here is what the stator looks like.

63.jpg

Not sure what is supposed to look like but i doubt like this.
I took a video of the inside of the housing so i could get a better look.

http://vid169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/MC87SS/Sea Doo/VIDEO0061_zpscmscocef.mp4

I assume i would be ok to just clean everything up real good, maybe use a scotch brite pad to remove any surface rust?
Working on cleaning the hull real good then going to pull the tank and starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back