96 GTX 787 Oil in exhaust and loss in propulsion

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TowerDog

So I have a 96 GTX 787. I have done just about everything to this ski. I got a BYO from SES 3 years ago. When I got it back I did not have the time to put it in the first year. Last year I put it in the ski and had issues with the carb throttle sticking, then bought a house and did not have time to mess with it. This year I got it fully up and running. (Outside of my 2 year warranty) I have about 3 hours on the motor and the pulled the plugs yesterday and they were covered with oil and fouled out. Now I am running premix 32:1 with Klotz R50 per SES recomendation. I do have the oil bath setup for the rotary valve, rave valves were cleaned when I put the motor back in. When I fired the ski up before heading to the river I noticed a nice big oil spot in the grass behind the ski (About 8" long not just a little bit of oil) and also when I fired the ski up at the ramp it was a complete white out. I had to pull the exhaust out of the ski last week to tighten up the hose for the rotary valve, and noticed an oil slick in the exhaust as well. From what I have read it is either crank seals or rotary valve seals but this is a fresh rebuild. Before I call SES I wanted to see if there was anything else it could be. I have re-build the carbs to include needle and seat. Are there adjustments I can make to the carbs ? I am also going to pull the ski today, to see what level the oil bath is at for the rotary valve to see if it is losing it from there. Also I feel like the ski is having an issue with propulsion. The ski is screaming at about 7K RPMS full throttle but I am only getting about 33mph, and doesn't feel like the ski is pushing like it should, especially after making turns or doing some donuts in the water it doesn't like to come out of the hole shot quickly it just drags, I had a buddy on a GTS yesterday completely blow me away. I figured I had two seperate problems here but figured I'd test the knowledge of the group.

Last edited by a moderator:
32:1 is a very rich oil mixture. 50:1 would be a better ratio to use. Most likely why you have so much oil in your exhaust and are fouling plugs. Have you checked compression? I'd do that before anything else to make sure the top end is still healthy. There was another guy on here that had an engine done by SES and the crank seals were f'ed up so he had to send it back and have them rebuild the crank again. If you're not loosing oil in the oil bath though, then the crank seals may be okay. The screaming at 7K RPM is most likely cause by a wear ring that is shot.

I was hoping it is a rich oil mixture causing the excess oil, it seems little excessive coming out of the exhaust but atleast in this instance I'd rather have more than less oil in the motor, I went off SES recommendation because I spent soem good cash on the BYO motor and want it to last and to stop wrenching on this ski and ride it. I need to buy a compression test kit, that is one thing I do not have. As for the propulsion, I am going to look at the wear ring I am hoping that is the problem, the motor runs fine and hit 7K RPMS just not getting out of the propulsion. Seem rings on ebay for a fairly decent price. When the ski is out of the water I hear a rattle under neath the ski I forgot to mention when its running. I have the rubber bumpers on the drive shaft, I have seen that could be the problem with the rattle.

The rattle is just a normal seadoo thing. Don't worry about it. The antirattle kits are not really needed. Underload, they do nothing and the rattle goes away without one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back