96 GTS idle speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to set proper idle speed while my 96 GTS (5817) is on the trailer.

It starts and idles great in the driveway. And when at the lake—runs great when I apply throttle. But when I drop to idle—it dies.

My photo rpm meter (from harbor freight) shows the idle on trailer at 2274. The manual says 2500. Should I stick with that or slightly higher? I have seen a lot of posts with 3000...not sure if that’s the real-life number that should be used on a vintage old machine like mine or what? Thanks in advance for any advice!!

[Edited to add One more question.] Is there any harm in setting the idle a little high just to ensure it's not dying or hard to start in the water? Or if I set it at 2500 like the book says, then should it work just fine, and if it's still dying or hard to start...then I potentially have another issue? I don't want to rev it up too high so that it's masking an idle speed fuel problem or something else.

Last edited:
You should set the idle to 3000 on the trailer, and then if you feel you need to lower it a bit once you get on the water, you can go ahead and drop it down a bit. You really should be shooting for 1300-1500rpm with the ski in the water.

thank you. If i set it at 1300-1500 in the water (3000 on land), will it scoot along pretty quickly? I"m not sure what the speed should feel like at idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back