96 gti possible damage from overheat event

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ochem

Took this ski out on labor day. I put shut off valves on the intake/outake hoses when I fixed this up, because I anticipated the need to tow it now and then, even though I got this ski working after sitting for years, I still don't know that much about them or jet skis in general. Unfortunately, the valves were shut off when I launched and immediately took out a towable. Overheat alarm goes off, I immediately cut the engine when I realize what I did. I popped the seat, opened the valves, then started the engine to get the water flowing and bring the temp down. alarm goes shuts off in ~1 min. I turned around to head back to shore, and a hole blew in the exhaust hose that runs between the exaust pipe and the muffler. I shut the engine off, and get towed back to shore after closing off the intake/outake hoses. (See I knew they'd come in handy :(
This past weekend I found a piece of replacement hose and put it in, easy fix. It was difficult to get the ski started again, but I eventually did. When it finally started, it did blow out a lot of oil from the exhaust, with a black oily residue dripping down the exhaust outlet. I bring it to the lake, starts right up. I notice it looks like some smoke coming from the engine compartment when I take the seat off to check my work and see how it's behaving in the water at idle. Run it out, hits top speed no problem, sounds a little off, like the rattle is loud, but running and idling fine. Run it with two passengers. runs good for a little while, then bogs down, bring it back to shore, and the engine is smoking, though it is only warm to the touch, as is the exhaust pipe so water is flowing through as it should. Looks like its taking on water too. Still starts up and revs up ok on the trailer.

My question is where do I look and where do I start? Exhaust leak likely causing the smoking in the engine compartment? Could the overheating event have damaged the engine? Pistons and rings, and that's why it spitting the oily residue out the exhaust? Any help is appreciated.

Over the years, that pipe has accumulated alot of oil. With it getting hot as it did, hat crusted oil now liquified.
Get a hose flush and put on the hose and see where the water is coming from. Rehit all the worm clamps as well. Checkout the small clear lines for melting

You probably have another hose melted somewhere. Running on the hose should find it for you.

Compression test is a good idea, I should have thought of that. I'll run it on the hose too. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bump for related question. When I winterized this ski, I hooked it up to the pump to fill with antifreeze, which did indeed find the hole. Turned out to be the short 6mm hose that goes from the tune pipe to the exhaust cone. There was a hole at both ends. My question is, I have leftover fuel hose which is nearly the same inner diameter, 6.35mm instead of 6mm. Any reason I shouldn't use this? It seems heftier than the hose that was on it, wondering if it'll stand up to the heat.

No reason not to, it is only passing water.

Also you only need a valve on the inlet cooling hose to tow, not the exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back