96 Challenger 787 Exhaust hose burning up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do You actually have water running out of the exhaust pipe at the stern

Way back in the thread was asked"water runnung out when running on the hose". You answered "yes" but did not specify water from exhaust pipe. It should come out as a heavy trickle, it should heat up pretty hot after a couple min (don't run over 5 min on hose) but it should not all be steam. 120F or so I would guess.

One more point that not all realize. When hooked to hose and "flushing" you are actually "back" flushing. Things might be different when flushing (running in the water) and back flushing (on the hose)

Water on the hose but steems at sea...

hey 04GTX,

I got water coming out when it's on the hose and at sea, I can't really see, of course. But I find there is quite a bit of steam(or very white smoke) coming out. Should it be blue when going fast? How long do you keep it wide open? I can't see why the WR would provide less water when I go faster... It seems like it will burn the hose every time if no cooling is provided at WOT???

Pascalb18

Well

I have never owned a 787, only 717's and 4Tec. White smoke is steam. A little blue smoke is OK but a lot means too much oil being burned. I don't know about water regulators.

water "regulator"

thats what it does, chief...regulates the flow, with more rpm, it directs the flow more toward the waterbox. The pipe acts like a "turbo" inna sense, wont fuction correctly with more water dump'n in while rpm's increase.

Really think, you have a cooling system blockage, or a clamp somewhere no clamped correctly. You can test the WR, by removing the little hose from WR to tuned pipe, at the pipe, and let hose out of seat, then rip around. While rip'n, pay attention to the water being shot out, should be lower at higher rpm's.

Regulates backward!!!

that what I mean, it looks like it's backward... Less water when it's needed the most, at high RPM. That's why I was asking, how long can we keep these machine wide open without burning these hoses? It looks like it's working fine now, and tomorrow I'll go for a couple hours and see how it holds up.:cheers:

It's working properly. It reduces the water to the headpipe as the RPM increases.

Chester

Yeah, but weird...

Yeah, I read that but it seem weird to me that there is less cooling when more heat is generated, at high RPM.
So, my question again, how long can we keep these machine Wide Open? Or if you guys don't even worry about that and I'm the only one with this issue???
Thanks.

Under normal conditions, you can hold it wide open until you run out of gas. The water that gets injected from the regulator is not to cool the exhaust, but to change the performance dynamics of the pipe. More water will slow down the sonic wave and give better bottom end acceleration. Less water will speed up the sonic wave in the pipe allowing the engine to get to a higher RPM.

Chester

Chester, really appreciate the effort you put into this forum

Chester, really appreciate the effort you put into this forum. You are assisting many.

No reply necessary

Interesting!

Thanks Chester,

so If the water from the regulator is not there to cool the exhaust, I might have something else wrong with my boat? What else could cause overheating, what's weird is that the manifold is cool but the pipe is steaming hot, the paint is even starting to peel off?!?!

Update, It looks all good now, we'll see in the Spring...

I got a WR from ebay and built one "perfect" one from both regulators. I looks better now, the hose survived the last ride. I'll sea in the spring when it gets warmer out. Now, I just got my 2001 GTX with a fresh top end and I want to break it in before I store it for the winter so... I got the drysuit out, this should be fun!!! :hurray:

Thanks to all you guys. :cheers:

Coupler rubber hoses burning up

I have a seadoo 2001 gtx rfi that has same issue and I replaced plugs, got spark, gap validated, and same issue I am at point of... Anyhow on exhaust sits pressure regulator and it is next in line that would allow buildup of heat if it failed... I am searching for its test procedure.

So you find out what it was cuz mine doesn't pee and overheat exhaust burning the pee hose

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

i know i reply to a very hold thread but i get exactly the melting hose problem and for me it solve by replacing the spring inside the water regulator valve, problem gone for good now, but i will keep one of the two brand new hose in the boat ( we never know ) so far 50km done everything's fine

Yes, ingestion of fine silt clogged pipe. Once flushed out and put back together, replaced hose and worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back