96 bombardier Spi

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike R

Good afternoon, newbie with a 96, bombardier Spi, I replaced fuel selector, fuel filter and removed carb and had rebuilt, started right up, seems to idle high, took advantage of a warm October day and got it out in water, runs great, faster then I thought.
A couple of questions:
It idles high enough that it moves in water, but if I lower idle it stalls, so I have it set to stay running, what is proper idle rpm setting and how do I check rpm?
I do have a slight oil tank leak at grommet, so hull has oil film in it, will repair this week, the ski seemed a bit unstable side to side, when idling around ramp area, almost rolled twice, but does not seem to be holding water, is this normal? How do I check if bilges are operating? (I’m assuming Bilges are two black boxes on bottom, behind motor?)
How do I go about replacing the grommet on bottom of oil tank?
thank you in advance for any help/input.
Mike

Yes it is normal to be tippy.
You need to order a new grommet and drain the oil tank to replace it.
THese are direct drive with no transmission or clutch. So if the engine is running you will be moving forward. Idle rpm is set to 1500 in the water which is the same as 3000 out of the water, you can set it either way.

Yes it is normal to be tippy.
You need to order a new grommet and drain the oil tank to replace it.
THese are direct drive with no transmission or clutch. So if the engine is running you will be moving forward. Idle rpm is set to 1500 in the water which is the same as 3000 out of the water, you can set it either way.
Awesome, thank you.

It idles high enough that it moves in water, but if I lower idle it stalls,...
, the ski seemed a bit unstable side to side, when idling around ramp area, almost rolled twice, but does not seem to be holding water, is this normal?
You’ve discovered the way these early units were built, & operat.
With jet skis, if the engine is running, the impeller is turning. On the newer models, “nuetral” is not actually neutral, nor is “reverse” actually reverse.
the impeller is still turning, in the same direction. The newer models simply use blocker doors to deflect the water flow forwards, (giving reverse), or downwards or sideways giving “neutral”. This is important to remember when towing tubes or wakeboards, you WILL still suck the rope into the drive if you get it under the Ski. Mine idles forward at a fast walk speed.
This can be problematic for new drivers when approaching docks or other tight places. You can slow down by constantly turning full left/right. This will give straight ahead path, but slower. It will take som practice if docking in a tight spot.
The SPI is a very tippy machine, especially if you are in the 200+ weight category. When sitting still, (especially 2 Up), it is very easy to flip. Until the ski gets going you need to be very aware of body position, & staying centered.
You will find that it can swap ends very quickly. If you do nothing, you will flip. The saving grace is full power, & keep body centered, like riding a horse. When you do flip, don’t hang in, let go as soon as you’ve gone past the point of no return. The ski will stay upright, & ingest no water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back