96/97 gts mpem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't worked on a 587 in a while which is why I said to test the stator magneto and we heard that can't be it. The rec/reg rectifies the ac current to dc and then regulates the max it puts out to run the ski and charge the battery. The best check for the rec reg is to check the battery hooked up not running and start and idle the ski and it should go up a little, and then about 14.5 max when revving the engine. Did you check ebay and other places for the mpem?

I found a used one on eBay for 70 bucks, thinking about ordering that one. So If I put another mpem in if the rectifier is the reason mine quit would it fry the one I put in or would I be able to install it in order to confirm the rectifier isn’t the problem?

Fry that sucker in a New York minute. BAM !! Done !!! Next. :D :D That's what mine did. It said... Yum Yum I like eatin these $100 MPEMs. I was able to determine the rectifier was bad by checking the ohm readings on the wires with the Rectifier disconnected. As a previous poster mentioned, when that RED Ring wire on the MPEM has continuity with the black ring wire... the MPEM is DED dead. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like you need both. Does the seller with the mpem also have the rec/reg off the same ski for sale? That would be your best bet. As far as looking up part numbers for your ski world of powersports in Decatur il starts with 1990. I know most dealers start in 1996 so you may want to look them up.

Sounds like you need both. Does the seller with the mpem also have the rec/reg off the same ski for sale? That would be your best bet. As far as looking up part numbers for your ski world of powersports in Decatur il starts with 1990. I know most dealers start in 1996 so you may want to look them up.

Yeah not gonna risk frying it. Probably gonna go ahead and get that used mpem and if I can find a used rectifier otherwise I’ll see if I can get one new in town. Thanks for all the helpful advice from everyone! will post an update if it fixes my problem or not once everything comes in.

IMG_2277.JPG

Just got the mpem in. I ordered it from what I thought looked like a reputable seller on eBay, irbys ski and cycle. The red wire that goes from the mpem to the rectifier is cut (picture attached). I’m a newbie, especially when it comes to electrical work, if I cut the wire from my old mpem and solder it onto this one will that fix this one?

No clue but worth a shot. If someone is selling parts with cut wires I really wouldn't trust them.

For guaranteed tested and good used parts I only buy from Westside Powersports Seadoo.

No clue but worth a shot. If someone is selling parts with cut wires I really wouldn't trust them.

For guaranteed tested and good used parts I only buy from Westside Powersports Seadoo.

Gonna try to get my money back or return it first. If not I’ll give it a shot

Gonna try to get my money back or return it first. If not I’ll give it a shot
What for? If it's good it's good. Since when is the whole thing bad because a wire was cut? I've bought a number of things from Irby's and find their prices very good compared to some other vendors. Very easy to deal with and they'd refund your money without issue. I just don't see a reason to send it back or ask for a refund.

I hope you guys don't think I meant that the problem could not be the mag but I was told by an electrical guru it probably wasn't and he was correct. My rectifier took out the battery as well. I only had 10.5 volts when I checked it. That failure gave no warning at all. Running great WFO throttle then deader than friend chicken. :)

It's not the stator, it's the MPEM grounded internally. when the 5 amp fuse blows. It's very easy to confirm, check for continuity between a ground wire and the fuse on the MPEM.

Chester
Hello I have a/question I am checking my mpem and have the same issues 5 amp fuse blows as soon as I hook the batt up.. I am taking my meter and hooking to the ground on motor or ground on the battery ground wire and then probe the 5 amp fuse using the beep setting. I get nothing from eather side so if I am doing that correctly its testing good correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back