95C1500's 1996 and 1997 SPXs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got up this morning (on what was supposed to be my day off) and siphoned the oil out of both and pulled the gas and oil tanks out of the 96. That's as far as i got before I got called into work. Such is life.

View attachment 48254
View attachment 48255

After work, I pulled the tanks out of the 97 and also cleaned both rave valves. Red caps flush with the black cap. I'll have to do some research to find the best way to clean the tanks. I'm thinking sloshing some fresh gas around in them and flushing them with water might do the trick.

Little by little..

I'm thinking sloshing some fresh gas around in them and flushing them with water might do the trick
If you can get away with just gas, I'd do that. I made the mistake of using water in mine when I did them, and it didn't really wash anything out and it took forever to dry.

If you can get away with just gas, I'd do that. I made the mistake of using water in mine when I did them, and it didn't really wash anything out and it took forever to dry.
I guess I'll skip the water then. I sloshed some gas around in all 4 tanks yesterday and let them sit overnight. I'll siphon them out today and clean the outside (sticky and oily) and reinstall them next week after my fuel valve and filter comes in

Tanks are cleaned out and reinstalled.
7E713542-EB7E-4480-9EA5-3B3D758D0377.jpeg
Also replaced the fuel valve/gasket and the fuel filter on both.
6C9F15A5-6D42-48AF-88B0-E9B8ED779F10.jpeg
12D0DBF5-2DF2-466D-9E4B-95C79DA7CA97.jpeg
Then replaced the oil injection lines. There was a ton of excess on the 787. I should’ve cut it to fit but, eh. The old lines weren’t clamped on either. The clamps were there but they weren’t crimped.
AB604233-C415-4CB7-8130-197BF60A3BB0.jpeg
“Restored” the hood of the 96. It won’t last but it looks alright for now
FB8B611A-5629-43E4-B466-1BA8C26D9454.jpeg
Waiting for carb rebuilds and we should be golden

Also, I bought a thing of XPS oil. The po was told by a dealer that each engine (717 and 787) should use different oil. I think that was a load of bs but I want to check with you guys first

Today was a trailer day. Found rotted runners on the trailer so those were replaced along with the carpet and a new taillight was added. Rounded off the day with bending the damaged fender back. Going to replace the tires and bearings at some point but we’re not quite to that point yet.
9155C4C1-ED48-414F-ACAD-294D026DCEBB.jpeg
A88E0E60-6FC2-4714-BB7A-DAE417A5E5FE.jpeg
31796F34-4EC8-4457-AD21-0DDF9DF97531.jpeg
24A02FA0-1631-4A5F-B4E7-2D446D5F7CD4.jpeg

FF9EFB65-CEE3-4263-A9A0-511B8620F1BC.jpeg

I lied. I have high hopes for these Seadoos and got a good deal on tires at work. $72 for all three with free labor (because I'll be the one doing it). I'm going to repack the bearings and haul the trailer to work Friday morning and change them out. After that, registration is all the trailer will need.

TPCLdYw.jpg

Also got order updates on my carb rebuilds from OSD. They are in the mail... on their way to OSD. Doh. Oh well, at least they're getting closer. Water regulator boot for the 97 as well as pump nose cone gaskets for each one will be here saturday.

Once these items are addressed, the only thing left will be to fix the gash in the 97 and theoretically, fingers crossed, theyll be ready for the lake.

Pulled the trailer into the driveway to repack the bearings and found a ton of pitting on them. They sounded awful too. Cleaned up the hubs and bearing buddies and bought new bearings, races, and seals. Replaced all. Need to buy a couple new bearing covers (missing one, other is cracked). Other than tires (installing tomorrow) and registration, the trailer is good to go.

2BC1E9C2-0213-4A8B-AEE2-60627C584056.jpeg

1AB741B5-6FF2-45FA-9B54-215855F71B76.jpeg

84CC1CBF-26DA-4771-9002-B3870B04C3AB.jpeg

5785F2D5-C6F4-4648-B3AB-4A4B4300DF17.jpeg

C5D7A014-9FE1-49E3-863A-DEDC7A57EC22.jpeg

27172A4B-E4A8-48BD-8070-DEFC62FE6926.jpeg

Still waiting on Seadoo parts so I can make some more progress on those.

New tires and bearing covers installed. Also took the girlfriend for a "test drive" and let her practice backing the trailer in an empty parking lot. We've got a little work to do before she's ready to tackle the boat ramp lol (she has no interest in it so I'm not going to force her to).

0pSa8xD.jpg

Also got an email that carb rebuilds are on their way... finally! Won't be long now.

The hardest thing if you have a big truck is seeing the trailer when backing down the ramp. I typically have my wife open the tailgate so she can see the trailer.

I like to stand on the running board out the door and work the brake with one foot and the steering wheel with one hand just to make people go what the heck is he doing? Then they typically say why don’t I do it that way?

The hardest thing if you have a big truck is seeing the trailer when backing down the ramp. I typically have my wife open the tailgate so she can see the trailer.

I like to stand on the running board out the door and work the brake with one foot and the steering wheel with one hand just to make people go what the heck is he doing? Then they typically say why don’t I do it that way?
That trailer disappears. I like the tailgate idea. Hadn't even thought of that.

Ha that's awesome!

Carb rebuilds showed up this afternoon.

SEFXTtZ.jpg

After work I got all four rebuilt. Both sets of carbs got black springs. The 97 had silver springs of some kind and the 96 was full of old gasoline. Everything is cleaned and ready for pop off tests tomorrow. Then possibly reinstalling them. We'll see what I have time for. My goal is to have them ready to test in the water (just on the trailer for now) this weekend.

V9V5MYU.jpg

Set popoff on all four carbs. The 96 717 ended up at 50 psi and the 97 787 ended up at 35 psi. Supplied 10 psi to the carbs for a few minutes and none leaked so in they went.

zttKraw.jpg

After tinkering with the throttle, choke, and oil injection, I got it all dialed in, dumped some fresh gas in, filled the oil tank, and fired her up. I tossed a cap full of oil in each cylinder before starting to give some lubrication while I held the pump open for the oil lines.

CgI7CXD.jpg

qyaGhld.jpg

She sounds good... as far as I can tell. I kept the old plugs in for the first start up. I'll gap the new ones and toss them in before taking them to lake this weekend to test if they run in the water. I have a video of it running but I can't figure out how to post it with sound.

A6r3nDy.mp4

I'll get the 97 done Friday after work and haul them to the lake this weekend. Then hull repair and registration and... fingers crossed... they'll be ready for the lake.

The 97 is buttoned back up. Took them both to the lake to verify the idle and my dad and I each took the 96 out for a quick 5 minute ride each. Ran well. No bogging like the po said was happening so I must've done something right. Water was choppy so I didn't get to open it up much but it was fun.

dH6tN9S.jpg

Need to get a second battery, another jug or two of oil, and replace the plugs. Also, need to fix the hole in the hull of the 97 (or get it fixed.. just depends). Oh, can't forget registration as well.

They are as difficult to balance on as I remember from 10-15 years ago. I'll get the hang of it though.

Picked up a second battery. Thing was almost as expensive as the battery my truck has. Duralast Gold EXT16L.

Also dropped it off at a local (three doors down) fiberglass guy to repair the hull of the 97. He said he'd give me "the deal of a lifetime" to repair it after I told him the story behind them. Seems like a nice guy, he also paints cars (which I will need in the future).

Other than that, getting the registration and titles squared away is the last thing in the way of using them.

OnLMNBf.jpg

I do have a question though, the 97 787 "pisses" when the hose is connected. The 96 717 does not. I pulled the hoses off and checked flow through them and there is flow but not enough to "piss". Is that normal for the 717?

I picked them up from the fiberglass guy early last week. Repair looked great and the fresh gel coat put the rest of the hull to shame.

Finally got around to gapping and tossing the new plugs in.

Also had my appointment with tpwd to register them and transfer ownership. Got the new tx number decals on the 96.

I tossed the fire extinguisher and all paper work in the storage bins and headed to the lake. My old battery decided it was done in the driveway so i picked up another EXT16L from auto zone. Got to the lake and tossed it in and nothing. A trip back to auto zone for another got the battery squared away and we finally got them on the lake.

Man these things ran great. Had a blast with my dad. Can’t wait for many more hours on them.

The only issues to deal with now are electrical. None of the gauges on the 96 work. It also started a long beep out on the lake. It went off, came back on, and once turned off sitting on the beach there were weak, intermittent beeps. The speedometer on the 97 broke off and the battery and oil light are on on both. Still got some things to work out but the first legal out couldn’t have gone better.

F3BA1DDF-46AD-4809-9425-FD6CB8EFE05D.jpeg

1D6EC0C0-2E7B-44BF-A5FA-FD42E3AAFB82.jpeg

I picked them up from the fiberglass guy early last week. Repair looked great and the fresh gel coat put the rest of the hull to shame.

Finally got around to gapping and tossing the new plugs in.

Also had my appointment with tpwd to register them and transfer ownership. Got the new tx number decals on the 96.

I tossed the fire extinguisher and all paper work in the storage bins and headed to the lake. My old battery decided it was done in the driveway so i picked up another EXT16L from auto zone. Got to the lake and tossed it in and nothing. A trip back to auto zone for another got the battery squared away and we finally got them on the lake.

Man these things ran great. Had a blast with my dad. Can’t wait for many more hours on them.

The only issues to deal with now are electrical. None of the gauges on the 96 work. It also started a long beep out on the lake. It went off, came back on, and once turned off sitting on the beach there were weak, intermittent beeps. The speedometer on the 97 broke off and the battery and oil light are on on both. Still got some things to work out but the first legal out couldn’t have gone better.

View attachment 49948

View attachment 49949
Can you show the group the fiberglass/gelcoat repair? Glad you had fun!

Took them out again this afternoon. It was fun and they ran great.. until it wasn't and they didn't. My girlfriend completed her boating education course the last night so today was her first time on a jet ski. Didn't go very fast but she had a lot of fun. Got a an hour and a half or so in so the afternoon wasn't a total flop.

ZBeVPv6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back