951 l- poor response

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

T Rock 1988

Just finished a rebound on a 1999 XL. Started up great and has great top end performance. But at idle the throttle response is very poor. And between 3-4 k RPM it stutters and almost stalls out

And suggestions for where I should start trouble shooting

Go through your carbs. Make sure the three holes in the carb throat are good and clean. That will fix the idle. Then move to the acc pump, that is the range where you start to increase the throttle. If I remember right, i think after that its the pop off of the spring that carries you through the rest of the throttle opening. There is a chart that shows the what does where when you open the throttle. I will look for it when i get to work.

Go through your carbs. Make sure the three holes in the carb throat are good and clean. That will fix the idle. Then move to the acc pump, that is the range where you start to increase the throttle. If I remember right, i think after that its the pop off of the spring that carries you through the rest of the throttle opening. There is a chart that shows the what does where when you open the throttle. I will look for it when i get to work.
The brass tubes in the carb throat clog with junk when you hit the throttle and it bogs.

Good call rabid,,,before you pull the carbs,,,remove the air box!,,,put either your finger in the intake,rear,,,or a small mirror for the front carb,,,pull the throttle,,,you will be able to see if the accel squirts the fuel,,,this will save you time taking the accel pump apart needlessly,,and clearing the outlet fittings,,,remove the ground to your battery first. ,lay a soft towel below the carbs to rest the carbs on,,be careful to not pull the pulse line off from the engine case,,,take lots of pictures as you proceed.,,remove the carb bracket 13 mm hex bolt at the head pipe last,,,it will hold the carbs fir you as you struggle to remove the 4 allen bolts.,,and of course,,loosely attach that bracket first to hold the carbs in place.,beside cleaning all the orifices,,,take a magnifying glass and take a close look at the tip of the needle,,,if it has a large groove,,,you will need to replace it,,,if it is minimal,,,you are okay,,,its up to you in this case..only do 1 carb at a time,,,if a philips screw anywhere will not come out,,,use an impact/driver,,,so you do not strip any heads,,,usually that occurs on the top 2 screws if the reg inside the carb..
Just follow the sticky thread to a tee,,and you will be fine,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back