951 carb priming

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blair

Hey guys
I recently removed and inspected my carbs on my 1999 seadoo xp limited. I bought the rebuild kit etc. Now that they are back together I can’t seem to get the carbs primed. On my particular model the exhaust runs right over them so now that the exhaust is back on it’s not very easy to mess with them. Any tips on getting the carbs primed would be great. I’ve tried: putting a little fuel in cylinders, pre-filling the fuel filter.

Not sure if it will work for yours, but I have a 99 GTX LTD with a 951. When I rebuilt, i removed the return line , clamped it closed, then I pressurized the fuel system like pressure checking it, This forced fuel through the system. Stop when gas comes out of the return.

Now this is from memory, and I am no expert. Search the forum for this and you’ll find some good info.

Good luck,
Ken

Not sure if it will work for yours, but I have a 99 GTX LTD with a 951. When I rebuilt, i removed the return line , clamped it closed, then I pressurized the fuel system like pressure checking it, This forced fuel through the system. Stop when gas comes out of the return.

Now this is from memory, and I am no expert. Search the forum for this and you’ll find some good info.

Good luck,
Ken
Which line is the return line?

Verify the feed line and return line and insure you have them connected correctly. The carbs should prime themselves as you turn the engine over. Pull the choke out all the way and crank till it fires. Not more than about 5-7 seconds at a time. You can put a 1/2 cap of fuel into the cylinders which will get it to fire.

CAUTION: Engine Runaway. I started a thread on this. Check it out and be prepred. This is the time they run away. To stop the runaway you pull out the choke all the way. Don't pump the throttle when it starts and don't mess around giving it fuel at the throttle. Make sure your throttle cable is NOT adjusted too tight. When the RPM gets higher and higher kill the engine. Make sure you have the water connected and ready to turn on.

When I do a 951 rebuild I just get the ski started in the shop of driveway and shut it back down. I take it to the water to get the carb working correctly as It takes about a while to get the accelerator pump and lines primed up and working properly. I flat don't let Carb 951's run in the driveway, water or not.

I suggest search for the Engine run away thread and be prepared. Don't be afraid of it, just be aware and make the correct decisions. You'll only have seconds. Ripping the spark plug wires off will have no effect. :D Ask me how I know that. LOL

Verify the feed line and return line and insure you have them connected correctly. The carbs should prime themselves as you turn the engine over. Pull the choke out all the way and crank till it fires. Not more than about 5-7 seconds at a time. You can put a 1/2 cap of fuel into the cylinders which will get it to fire.

CAUTION: Engine Runaway. I started a thread on this. Check it out and be prepred. This is the time they run away. To stop the runaway you pull out the choke all the way. Don't pump the throttle when it starts and don't mess around giving it fuel at the throttle. Make sure your throttle cable is NOT adjusted too tight. When the RPM gets higher and higher kill the engine. Make sure you have the water connected and ready to turn on.

When I do a 951 rebuild I just get the ski started in the shop of driveway and shut it back down. I take it to the water to get the carb working correctly as It takes about a while to get the accelerator pump and lines primed up and working properly. I flat don't let Carb 951's run in the driveway, water or not.

I suggest search for the Engine run away thread and be prepared. Don't be afraid of it, just be aware and make the correct decisions. You'll only have seconds. Ripping the spark plug wires off will have no effect. :D Ask me how I know that. LOL
I did read other threads and they were very helpful! So I pulled it apart again (removed exhaust, air box and now both carbs) I havent messed with the carbs much but couldn’t seem to get it to pull fuel. Question: is there a diagram available for 1999 xp limited on fuel line diagram? Im Curious if I’ve mixed them up. There a line on the bottom that seems to go to rear of boat. There’s the side barb that faces down then a line that is on the top. Would love to know the order and where those lines are suppose to come from. I’m also going to inspect my diaphragms in carb to see they are pulling.

Check that the pulse line is secure at the fitting at the rear port side of the motor,,,

So though I labelled them in my haste I may of confused my lines. The main feed line that comes from fuel filter goes in the barb on the side of carb? The line direct to tank I assume is a return line and goes on the top barb of the carb?

If I remember correctly, main feed line is larger and runs from the filter to the bottom of the carb, side bung is the pulse going back to the motor, and top is the return back to the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back