95 XP Temperature beeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgiffune

I've got a 95 XP 717 engine. The temperature beeper is going off constantly. The high temp light on the dash never comes on. The engine doesn't feel excessively hot to the touch.

I pulled the hoses off to see if water was going into the engine (ran it for only a couple seconds without waterflow)

There is water going IN to the engine, and OUT to the tuned pipe. The engine hose on the carb side is the engine water outlet hose according to the shop manual (the one where the flush hose connects). There is nothing coming out of the engine, to that hose. Should there be? There is little water coming out of the flow check at the back of the seadoo unless throttled up.

Is it likely this is just a bad sensor? Or does it sound like something is clogged up preventing water from flowing through the engine? Thank you in advance.

It could be a bad sensor... but if it was... the little red light would come on.

The beeping can be from something else.

The beeper stops if I disconnect the temperature sensor. I thought that beep was strictly from over temp? When is the led supposed to come on during an overheat condition? Should both the led and beeper come on at the same time? Thanks!

Check your *plugs and see if you have a lean condition. Insure you have oil movement in the two small RV cover lines. If one is broke & leaking, engine will seize up. oil will be in bilge. Wire out all your water fittings. You may have sand packed in the cylinder drain line that is
on the exhaust manifold.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that beeper could ONLY be triggered by the temperature sensor? I'm not sure how an oil flow problem would cause a temperature indicator to trigger? What else can cause that beeper to go off.

And should water be coming out of the carb side engine hose in a normal 'in water' condition?

Thanks for everyone's replies! This forum has a great group.

Just an update - pulled the temp sensor, connected to an ohm meter, placed sensor it water and brought to a boil. I never did get continuity through the sensor at all, which seems odd. I was hoping to read short at about 100 degrees, but nothing even at 200.

In the XP, the high temp beeper goes off nearly constantly.

I have a sensor on order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back