95 xp hard starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgiffune

95 XP with a 717 engine. I have replaced the gray fuel lines, cleaned the selector switch, had the carbs rebuilt and adjusted them to spec. Brand new spark plugs and a good battery. The thing just does NOT want to start when it's cold. Once it's started, it runs fine, although it may be vibrating a little more than it did prior to the carb rebuild. (it started fine before the carb rebuild). It takes a good minute of pumping the throttle and turning over constantly to get it started.

I'm about at a loss for ideas. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Is your choke working? Are you Using the choke? Does it have a primer kit installed?

Did you replace your needles and seats? Also make sure the oring in the water/fuel seperator is not kinked.

The choke 'works' in that if it's running, and I choke it, it dies. It doesn't seem to help much when I'm trying to get it started. No primer kit installed, in fact this is something I'll have to research as I'm not familiar with it.

I didn't do it myself, I bought the parts and had someone more experienced do it for me. This was the the kit I used from ParkerYamaha http://www.parkeryamaha.com/mikuni38-46superbncarbrebuildkit.aspx. It doesn't look like the needle seats were included.

Check your plugs, I had the SAME problem and it turned out to be a bad plug (it was fairly new too). A good way to test this is with an inductive timing light, just clip it on and see if the plugs are firing regularly. Testing for spark with the eye is not good enough as you can't see if it's regular or w/ big pauses like mine was. Good idea is to just go get some new ones and try it out, they're like $2/piece.

Did you make sure that the choke is adjusted properly...make sure it fully closes....also needles and seats definitely...i have the same ski and before carb rebuild it was hard to start....opened them up and found the needles and seats were shot...after rebuild starts with one press of button!!!

Second set of spark plugs, with no change. Choke looks like it's closing completely, but I'll double check. Also checking to see if the needles and seats were replaced. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Just pulled the fuel lines off the fuel filter, and checked the filter. Fuel is coming out of the line to the filter assembly. Cleaned out the filter and assembly (had some sediment in the bottom, but the filter was clear). Pulled the fuel line off the carburetor, fuel coming out there too. Plugged everything back together. Replaced the oil filter, and installed a new temperature sensor. Hit the Start button, and it started up immediately. Granted, this is not in the water, but it wouldn't start like that even out of water last week. I adjusted the idle last week to 3000 RPM out of water, 1500 in. This week, with only the aforementioned changes, the idle was WAY up over 5000 RPMs. obviously I adjusted it back down. But, my theory is I had some kind of fuel restriction someplace. Going to get it to the lake hopefully tomorrow.

Also, the temperature alarm was going off constantly, with the engine cool to the touch. I tried the boiling water and ohm meter trick, and the thing NEVER would close, even at boiling water (212 degrees). Anyway, it's got a new sensor in it, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll update tomorrow when I know

Sorry I never got back..yes, that fixed it, and have had no further problems. It's starting up with the push of a button (with a battery that is at least a year old, I can't remember if I bought it last year or the year before. It stays on a trickle charger), and no temperature alarm since I replaced the sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back