'95 storage compartment latch

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Normallysailing

'95 GTX won't open. I can see how it works by looking at the '95 SPI's latch, which works properly. Tried loosening the jam nut (which I can barely reach with a wrench), but now i can see that it's just spinning the post and that there must be a nut underneath. Is there a magic trick? The handle goes up and down with a good healthy snap, but must have become disconnected from the wire that grabs the post.

Yes, there is a 17 mm nut on the other side. On that post, above that 17mm jam nut, above the hull, there is a narrowed area, that accepts a wrench, that prevents it from turning, and I apologize, I can't remember the size, at least you know what you are up against.

Yeah, but when I turn the post the nut inside the hull just spins along it with it. With nothing holding the nut there's no progress to be made. And I'm pretty sure I can't reach up from under the seat to hold the nut - the only way to get at it is through the opening that I can't open. This is a Chinese puzzle.

Solved. I was able to sneak a 10mm flex head gear wrench up into the slot and unbolt the latch mechanism from the cover. A little reshaping of the spring looks like it did the trick (at least for now).

However, the latch plastic is somewhat broken up - a chunk of the target cone is missing, and I expect it to continue to give me trouble. Is the latch something that might be available as a new replacement part from Sea-Doo, or am I looking for NOS, or RFE, or what? Any leads appreciated.

I keep a few of these on hand. They break easy right where you said and do exactly as yours did. I now line up the latch carefully before pressing it down. My kids like to just drop the front hood and that tends to break the latch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back