95 SPX VTS Not Working

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kidrocker151

So I'm new to the PWC world and my father and I just picked up a '95 SPX. Motor runs great and is in overall good condition except for the fact that the VTS doesn't work. Well when we started poking around we found that the VTS motor that was attached to the trim indicator (next to the handlebars) had completely broken off and fell to the bottom of the hull. So we ordered a replacement motor off of a guy on eBay selling new motors that came with the new VTS boot. Well the motor came in and we went to test it and the motor would not turn. We checked all the fuses on the VTS module in the E-box and everything was good. You can hear the relays click when pushing the up and the down buttons but the motor will only move a fraction on an inch then stop both ways. So we thought we had a bad motor. Took the motor out, hooked it up to a battery and the motor spins freely both directions! So at this point we are getting pretty puzzled as to why it's not working. When I test the connection with a voltmeter I get +12v in both directions (when I swap the leads of course). But as soon as I hook up the motor to the plug and put the tester leads in and hit the switch the voltmeter will flash about 3 volts then go completely to 0. So we thought it was a bad VTS module and ordered one of those off of eBay as well only to have it do the same thing! Any insight on to what else this possibly could be would be great!

In most cases, the VTS Module is what goes bad. Make sure that all connections are VERY good and clean. Pull the fuses and look for ANY corrosion on them. Any poor connection lowers the amperage that feed the module and the motor.

Sadly, if all connections and fuses are good, the odds are the module is bad. If is it bad, for not set the VTS to the middle by powering the motor externally or spinning the shaft.

Then pull the fuse and UNPLUG BOTH the module and the motor. For some reason, when a module goes bad it tends to harm the MPEM. And the MPEM is expensive.

Yeah all the fuses and connections look good. I just find it puzzling that when no motor is connected I get a good solid 12.5v out of the VTS motor plug. But as soon as I plug in the motor and retest it flashes 4v quickly then goes to 0. This occurs on both the old and the replacement VTS module I purchased.

Yeah all the fuses and connections look good. I just find it puzzling that when no motor is connected I get a good solid 12.5v out of the VTS motor plug. But as soon as I plug in the motor and retest it flashes 4v quickly then goes to 0. This occurs on both the old and the replacement VTS module I purchased.

Does the motor crank over fast as it should? If so, then I would think the battery, connections and cables are good. The issue could come back to a poor connection. But,,, probably 95% of the time it is a bad VTS Module.

The second module you bought, was it used?

New battery, motor does crank good. Module was used but guaranteed to work. Maybe I should send it back?

Unless you can test the 2nd module on another ski,, I don't know that you have much choice. If everything is good up to and beyond the Module, then I would lead in the direction of the module being bad..

I wish I did have access to another ski to test but I don't. I will contact the seller who sold me the module to return it and try to find another one and if that one doesn't work isn't there a retrofit kit I seen floating around on the web to replace the OEM unit?

I wish I did have access to another ski to test but I don't. I will contact the seller who sold me the module to return it and try to find another one and if that one doesn't work isn't there a retrofit kit I seen floating around on the web to replace the OEM unit?

There are two that I know of. One is a $20-$25 relay fix that you build yourself and the other is $75-$100 kit from eBay.

Yes,, the $20 relay fix is common. It just requires some basic understand of how relays work. I have posted the schematic many times for others.

In this case, the gauge does not show where the VTS is, but the VTS does work.

Found the relay on Amazon for $11 so I will try that and send the replacement VTS module back. I'll keep you posted on how it works. Thanks!

Where were you measuring this? If it was at the motor, With the motor disconnected then you may have high resistance, which won't show up if the motor is disconnected. With the motor connected the high resistance will show you a lower than 12v reading, that is why you get 4v. If current is not flowing (motor disconnected) the voltage won't drop so it shows you exactly what the battery is putting out, 12.5v. Backprobbing the motor connection power and ground wire will tell you which side the problem is on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I measured it where the motor plug in to the harness. With not motor plugged in I get good voltage. With motor plugged in I get the short amount of voltage then it drops to 0. The motor is new and when hooked up to a battery it turns fine in both directions. When hooked up in the ski and I press either up or down the motor will turn maybe a quarter inch then stops. I'm going to try the relay workaround and if it still doesn't work I'm going to try another motor

Here is a copy of the instructions I found.

Relay - Seadoo

Blue/Black - Green/Orange (VTS Motor)
Brown/Black - Black (Ground)
Violet/Black (fused) - Red (power)
Green/Black - Blue/Orange (VTS Motor)
White/Black - Black (Ground)
(Small Wires)
Red - Purple (VTS switches)
Blue - Blue/White (VTS switches)
Green - Green/white (VTS switches)

Status
Not open for further replies.