95 spx, needs top end but can't find parts, found used motor claimed to be running but seems to cheap. Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elwood816

Have a 95 SPX that needs a top end rebuild. New to PWC last year, know a little bit mechanically but not enough to decide how to move forward. My local Sea-Doo outfit said the machines too old for them to work on and also said the top end rebuild kit is discontinued. I found somebody to work on it through facebook, never met the guy nor have I ever heard anything about him good or bad, it's obvious he works on jet skis in his free time but I don't know how reputable he is. He looked around for a couple of weeks and said he wasn't able to get parts through any of his sources. He told me that if I found a part-out machine with a good top end he could swap the parts. I also found a used engine at a local scrap yard that they claim is running but they're only asking $400 for it, comparing that to other motors I've seen online that seems cheap.

My first question - does anybody know where I can get a top end kit for a 95 SPX 587?

Second - if I found quality parts out of a otherwise dead machine is it okay to use them

Third - what questions should I ask and wat to look for if buying a used motor from a junkyard. and is the price of $400 for an allegedly running engine in the right ballpark?

Thanks for your time I appreciate any info

If the motor runs properly,,,$400 is a good deal,,,the cases alone are worth couple hundred,,, good crank is $600ish,,,pistons $100ish eac,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back