95 SPX Fouling Plugs Near Instantly- Wont stay on Plane

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

natem1270

I just bought a 95 SPX bombadier. Runs great on the hose but bogs down under load in the ocean. Additionally, it dies at idle without a little bit of throttle. Compression on both cylinders is 135PSI. Oil injection system is still in place.

Plugs are wet after approximately 10 minutes of riding which is about how long it takes to get out of the Marina. After changing the plugs it seems more responsive for a few minutes but not long enough to make it out of the no wake zone. I’ve gotten it on plane a couple times but after 15 feet or so it bogs down. I feel like it smokes a bit much compared to other 2 stroke outboards I own. Previous owner says they just rebuilt the carbs. I plan to check that the oil pump return spring is functioning as expected then don’t know where else to look other than the carbs. It fires right up so I’m wondering if there’s anything else to check before digging into the carbs. If a carb rebuild is the next step, what kit would you recommend? I’ve seen other members recommend a back to stock kit.

I'm a novice BUT since the PO said they rebuilt the carbs I would double check the low speed/ high speed screws. From what I've read these are suspect when the engine bogs above idle. Make sure the high speed screws are all the way screwed snug and the low speed screws are 1 & 1/8 screwed out from snug.

Would recommend OSD Marine build your own kit to get precisely what you need/ want to replace.

My '95 SPX previous owner said they rebuilt the carbs but when I opened 'em up the needles were gooey green and retaining screw missing :gasp:

I'm a novice BUT since the PO said they rebuilt the carbs I would double check the low speed/ high speed screws. From what I've read these are suspect when the engine bogs above idle. Make sure the high speed screws are all the way screwed snug and the low speed screws are 1 & 1/8 screwed out from snug.

Would recommend OSD Marine build your own kit to get precisely what you need/ want to replace.

My '95 SPX previous owner said they rebuilt the carbs but when I opened 'em up the needles were gooey green and retaining screw missing :gasp:
Thanks for the advice. Ill check the settings before ordering the kit. I suspect they did not use OEM parts if they did rebuild the carb

You're welcome. If you do open the carbs make sure to use a JIS screwdriver to prevent stripping screw heads. Its ~$15 online :thumbs-up:

Compression seems low,,dark plugs could be from sticking needle and seat,,,and of course AM kits will affect the pop off with the weak springs,,,

Compression seems low,,dark plugs could be from sticking needle and seat,,,and of course AM kits will affect the pop off with the weak springs,,,
I thought based on other posts compression is great at 150 & rebuild time at 120. 135 seemed to be not new but still some life left. could this just be blow by fouling my plugs? Now I’m skeptical of ordering a carb rebuild kit if the engine is worn out.

My 96xp once…2009,,,went through a salad bowl of plugs,,,I went thru EVERYTHING,!!… no luck,,,so,,,on a whim,,,put in a new battery,,and voila,,,to this day,,,no salad bowl…the battery is everything,,,I purchased a load tester that is at my side at all times,,,it is my FIRST MOVE,,,with electrical issues,,,I even load test the new battery,,,because,,,once in a blue moon,,,a new battery is faulty.

Last edited:
My 96xp once…2009,,,went through a salad bowl of plugs,,,I went thru EVERYTHING,!!… no luck,,,so,,,on a whim,,,put in a new battery,,and voila,,,to this day,,,no salad bowl…the battery is everything,,,I purchased a load tester that is at my side at all times,,,it is my FIRSE MOVE,,,with electrical issues,,,I even load test the new battery,,,because,,,once in a blue moon,,,a new battery is faulty
thank you for the advice. would you be worried about the compression? The battery does look pretty old. Not doubting you, But could you explain how a weak battery can affect spark.

I noticed that today and thought it was odd that the high speed screws are turned all the way in and the low speed screws are out 1 1/2 turns each on my 951. I expected the adjustment of those screws to be more of a hassle than I guess they really are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back