95 SPX 657X Oil in crankcase

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ndhuntnfish

Last summer I picked up an 95 SPX for 300 bucks. Everything was in good working order except the locked up engine. I pulled it apart last fall and found a bad rod bearing. I also found both sides of the crank were full of oil. I attributed that to bad seals due to bearing bits.

I sent the crank off to SBT got a rebuilt crank and threw it all back together using a shop manual as a guide.

In the process I managed to damage the stator, but it was late fall in ND so I put the damaged one in the ski and would get one this spring. Well picked up a new stator over the weekend, So I pulled the front cover off and oil came out. After a few WTFs I pulled the motor back out and the crankcase is full of oil again.

I did hook up the fuel and oil lines and filled them up, thinking that sitting over winter would help bleed out the lines. I have yet to run this motor. Was hoping to this weekend, but thats on hold now. Any ideas on what is going on with this thing? Could oil be leaking past the pump and filling the cylinders? Any help would be appreciated

What type of sealant did you use between the case halves? I rebuilt my 94 xp, new crank and seals, and it had a smoking problem everytime I started it. I pulled the rv cover off and found raw oil bleeding out of the case seal, filling the rv area and going into the cylinders. I must have had something, oil, grease, touch the case surface before I put the gel seal on. You could clearly see two areas where the dried gel seal was not red but orangeish where it didn't bond to the metal and let oil seep out of the rv shaft resevoir. Easy enough to fix luckily, I hope your fix is as easy.

I have never heard of an oil pump letting oil leak past it.

The front cover? The cover over the stator or the rv cover.

I’ve got a 95 GTX With the same engine as you, it’s got 3 big oil lines going to the engine, only one goes to the oil pump. The other two lubricate the rotary valve and as I understand it, one is an “in” and the one on the back by the exaust is the “out” this is why they tell u to change the oil now and again because apparently it’s always circulating. The one that goes to the oil pump terminates there and then you have 2 small oil lines that mix with fuel. You might want to take the banjo bolts out, replace the clear hoses with the same size hoses, and then see if the check valves that are in the banjo bolt fittings are working, make sure they aren’t stuck. Also, if you do decide to just premix make sure you keep the oil tank connected to the “in and out” lines I discussed earlier, and make sure lines are clear and of same size. Also if you ever change oils, it’s probably a good idea to blow (with low pressure) into the “in” hose and catch the oil that comes out the “out,” there is quite a bit in the engine. Good luck!

The oil doesn't circulate in the rotary chamber it just sits there for life.

If there is oil in the stator you have either a bad front crank seal or you didn't seal the cases correctly.

If it is only flooding the cylinders with oil it could be......
1. Bad inner crank seals.
2. Bad rotary shaft seal.
3. Cases not sealed correctly.
4. Rear oil pump seal leaking.
5. Oil check valves leaking.

Yes, what you are describing sounds like multiple failures. You have oil going into the case and leaking out of the case. If the crank seals fail next to the rv shaft resevoir oil will go into the crank areas below the pistons. If the case fills with oil and then leaks out the end of the motor into the magneto area then you have a second failure at that point. However, you said it was a new crank, I assume you used new end seals as well. All new seals, even cheap ones, don't start leaking to the extent you are describing. Something else is going on.

This is why I was wondering about the case halves seal. It seems like the best answer for multiple leaks.

I’m having a problem I think there is oil in the bottom end I start it up it runs for a minute or so then stalls and won’t turn over yup have to let it sit for a while then it’ll start again then stall it’s a787 any help would been greT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back