95 speedster problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bdk1282s

I have a 95 speedster , has aftermarket mpem I believe as I had to have neutral safety switch bypassed to run . It ran great first few times out , then Friday had a issue where it died out of nowhere and couldn't get either motor to fire. Got it back home saturday , still nothing , I cleaned fuel filters, checked wiring and fuses, then it ran fine in driveway. Took it back out today , fired right up then same crap in water, just turned over, wouldn't fire (this thing fires right up normal). Got it out of water , recrimped some wiring, then ran normal, then it died. Traced back to mpem (after testing safety switch and neutral bypass switch ) and mpem was loose, literally felt like only 2 middle bolts were holding it on. If I tapped mpem it'd fire right up. Tried on water again , ran fine for minute or so then died again, sounded like battery died we loaded up and took home. Tried starting it when I got home , and fired right up , water poured out exhaust , and ran 100% normal. I'm lost , I'm gonna check all wiring in mpem tomorrow but any other ideas what the problem could be? Bad mpem, loose wire, anything else ? I just don't understand how it would barely turn over in water then fire right up at home. It's been converted to premix and single battery , and had carbs rebuilt. It affects both engines.

With your description... sounds like the wireing and/or the aftermarket MPEM is your issue.

1) In a boat... there should be NO crimp connectors being used !!!! Connections need to be solid and waterproof. I would remove all crimps, and either solder the wires, or add a waterproof plug of some kind.

2) Aftermarket MPEM's are known to be crap in a loot of cases. I think now there are some that are OK. But in the past, we would see them be bad out of the box... or fail soon after.

With your description... sounds like the wireing and/or the aftermarket MPEM is your issue.

1) In a boat... there should be NO crimp connectors being used !!!! Connections need to be solid and waterproof. I would remove all crimps, and either solder the wires, or add a waterproof plug of some kind.

2) Aftermarket MPEM's are known to be crap in a loot of cases. I think now there are some that are OK. But in the past, we would see them be bad out of the box... or fail soon after.

K thanks I'll make sure I got good connections through out , I'm gonna mess with mpem wires see if I can find a bad one and post a photo of it see if it can be identified .

Here's a pic of it , I did find a black 7.5 amp fuse , wasn't totally blown but looked very poor. Running fine now , gonna try water test tomorrow. It looks OEM to me , cover looks the same as spare mpem.

Attachments

• IMG_20180702_175807.jpg
    IMG_20180702_175807.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
Well haven't been able to do water test , but found more problems. Battery was shot, replaced it and checked the carbs due to fuel smell and bog, and noticed fuel pouring out of mag carb on port engine. Still starts, but this is another major problem. Cut hoses and retightend , but looks likes it's coming out bottom or between fuel pump/carb gasket. Any good places to buy rebuild kit, also do they include gasket/oring for fuel pump? I also did find brand new OEM carb for $120, thinking of going that route as I lack experience rebuilding carbs

New battery , carb gasket/orings/fuel filters replaced, replaced bad fuse and disconnected 12v outlet, wiring gone through, new safety switch (used 3 times, replaced before this problem ), new lanyard, new plugs, both engines still run normal then die after a minute, won't restart and star motor may backfire, rinse/repeat over and over. Fuel selector and rectifiers next I suppose? Maybe bad stator but not sure why this affects BOTH engines and had the same exact effect on both engines whether they're running correctly or sputter out and won't fire.

Same problem , new rectifiers and still same problem . Took it out ran, died , tap mpem box it fires and runs , then dies again. Anything in there I can check besides loose connections , they all seem ok.

both engines die simultaneously? How sure are you that the tapping upon the mpem is what is enabling it to restart?

Does the mpem have a seadoo partnumber on the back side?

you have a spare seadoo mpem?

I wouldn't bother putting it back on the water until I was sure it would run indefinitely at home

Yes , both engines die simultaneously. It'll start fine, run, then start to sputter/backfire seconds to minutes later then die/no start shortly after. I had a neutral bypass switch installed , it's got a start/run toggle on it now , I left it in start on accident (it just won't rev up til put in run position , I launch in a no wake zone lake that's 1500' to the fun lake so I didn't catch it) and made it 1000' til it died , but regardless it took me three episodes of this to get it back to dock that's with putting it in run position once it was going. If it's in the run position I get the beeps when trying to start. Also when turning over, if I tap on mpem box it'll backfire then run normal again. I do have a spare complete mpem box , but it was trashed by previous owner due to water. I also noticed the 3amp and 7.5amp fuses we're in incorrect spots , I put recently put them in correct spot, also some fuses don't fit tight in the box and feel loose, is there anyway to correct that as they're moulded in ?

Attachments

• IMG_20180702_175807.jpg
    IMG_20180702_175807.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Tightened up the ground in box, wasn't loose but got another 3/4 turn on it , changed out plugs and gapped .22-.24, they were .30 and possibly fouled , running good at home again , gonna try on water

Plugs may have fouled due to no spark/turning over and or extended no wake zone , I'm running premix 40:1 so it's very rich at low rpms

That worked , have it on water runs good had 3 people on horrible cavitation though , port motor jumping 4-7k rpm now. We parked it for an hour then got right on a plane and ran perfect on the way in .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back