95 GTX bog and Carburetion Education

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boshwash

Hey guys!

I've got a few questions to start with and potentially more to follow. I have 1995 GTX thats been in my family since it was purchased new. It just got a remanufactured SBT engine that I installed, as well as the carbs rebuilt, which I also did. Took them to a semi-local shop to have the pop-off checked because I dont have a gauge right now. He said they were holding good at 19psi.

After break-in she seems to be running good. At one point I was able to clock 48.5mph via GPS but since that day I haven't gotten above 42.5. Not sure what that's about.

She's fully broken in and I have noticed that the plugs are jet black and sooty on an idle plug check. Also, I feel like the idle is rough, but then again I feel like it's always had a rough idle. I struggle with the idle speed adjustment because I just don't know what 1500rpms sounds/feels like in the water. I have noticed that the idle will start higher and as she idles it will slowly get lower and rougher. By GPS she idles between 2.5-3mph.

Other than the black plugs, the only performance issue is a lean bog off idle when I apply 90-100% throttle. I've been testing different things to remedy the situation. Right now my low speed screw is at 1 1/4 and the high speed is at 3/4. The bog seems to have gotten better each time I increased the hs screw however and 1 full turn it started to hesitate and surge a bit. The sweet spot might be between 3/4 and 1 full turn. Haven't been able to test it yet. I believe that the bog is lean because I can pull the choke about 1/2 inch out and slam the throttle, she'll take off with no bog at all as long as I put the choke back in as the bow starts to raise.

I tried adjusting the LS screw for this to apply more fuel since I wasn't sure which circuit was responsible for this situation but it didn't seem to make much difference. I'm starting to suspect my popoff pressure. 19psi is already at the bottom of the acceptable range, any loss of accuracy of the guy who tested it's tester could result in being out of spec, does anyone know if a low popoff could cause this issue. Also, for a ski that is supposed to have a HS setting of 0, 3/4 -1 seems like a lot of adjustment.

Last question for now. Everyone talks about having chocolate brown plugs at a good ratio... does that apply to idle as well? I've seen the pics of a good plug, I'm just not sure if that is for WOT tests only or if they should pretty much always look that way, even at idle.

I apologize for the long post, figured I'd get as much data out as I can in the first post lol.

Thanks!

Plug tests are at WOT only. Your ski should run perfect with the stock carb settings, if not somethings up. Did you rebuild your carbs with genuine mikuni kits?

Plug tests are at WOT only. Your ski should run perfect with the stock carb settings, if not somethings up. Did you rebuild your carbs with genuine mikuni kits?
I did use genuine mikuni kits, although I'm curious, what other kit's are there and what problems have people run into with them? I ask because that seems to be everyone's first question so something must be up lol.

Other kits would be off eBay, Amazon, and even SBT.

Generally they flat out don't work. I bought one off eBay at one point. The diaphragm was a pos and the carb just could not deliver fuel.

It could be an air leak from either the fuel selector or the fuel filter, to test run the reserve line from the fuel tank directly to the carb.

It could be an air leak from either the fuel selector or the fuel filter, to test run the reserve line from the fuel tank directly to the carb.
Tried that one. Went straight from carb to tank. No change. Thanks for the suggestion :)

What carb springs did you use?
Are you running premix or oil injection?
Correct oil?
Try installing new spark plugs.

What carb springs did you use?
Are you running premix or oil injection?
Correct oil?
Try installing new spark plugs.
Started with a gold spring. Then clipped it. Then changed to old silver spring with no clipping. Oil injection. Seadoo xps 2 stroke oil. Justbtried new plugs, no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back