93 GTS Abrupt Dying WOT

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

truehybridx

Took the 93 GTS out to the lake. Acted like it was running fine at idle and low throttle. Went full throttle and things seemed fine but about 15 seconds at full throttle at the engine abruptly turns off. What I mean by abruptly, I mean it doesnt seem to bog down or notice any sputter it just flat dies and I come to a full stop on the water.

After it dies, it will start back up after a little work with cranking but if I remember right the starter would struggle some unless I let it set a little longer after coming to a stop.

Type 587 Rotax Engine
Still uses oil injection
Rebuilt the carb 5 months ago
No grey fuel lines
Fuel filter did not have any obvious gunk in it
Battery is at 12.6v (I didnt notice any increase in voltage after the engine was started, rectifier?)
Overheat alarm did not go off, but the buzzer does work
Sparkplugs were wet and black/oily when I got home and pulled them

I started it on a water hose just so I could jiggle around wires and stuff to see if it was an obvious electrical issue but that didn't show anything

I hear some talk about it might be fuel lines stopped up, I am going to check the lines but I feel like it would bog down before dying instead of the sudden die it is doing.

Rectifier might be something to look into as I see it could cause some weirdness in the ignition when they go bad.

When I did the carb rebuild the rotary valve came off with the oil injector carb assembly. Did our best to put it back where some guide said to put it when top dead center. Would an out of time RV cause the motor to die like that at WOT?

Any thoughts from the more experienced?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same 93 GTS with the same problem, only died at WOT after 10-15 seconds, solved the problem by running the fuel line directly from reserve from the fuel tank to the input on the carburetor. I don't think an out of time RV would cause that since the machine does run for a while at WOT, seems more like a fuel delivery issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back