787 swap and Alignment tool

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astiles27

Hey yall, I’m fixin to drop in my new 787 motor in the next week or so and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice as well as things to avoid. I’m also looking for an engine alignment tool. I’m in North Carolina if anyone nearby has one, the motors going in a 96 GTX. Just trying to save some cash in this little money pit I have . Thanks!

Make sure you rebuild the carbs and fuel system and service the oil injection system. Those two things are known to kill new engines.

Hey yall, I’m fixin to drop in my new 787 motor in the next week or so and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice as well as things to avoid. I’m also looking for an engine alignment tool. I’m in North Carolina if anyone nearby has one, the motors going in a 96 GTX. Just trying to save some cash in this little money pit I have . Thanks!
Where in NC

Cool. I’ve rebuilt my carbs and replaced my filters and lines plus I’m converting to premix. And I live just outside Charlotte.

Why are you converting to premix? The oil pumps are bullet proof and you will save oil. I have a gtx,gsx and a gs all still running pumps no issues. I’m in Hillsborough

Well all I’ve ever read and heard was the opposite. Everywhere I’ve looked people say thats a big fault in the 787s. Everyone has their opinions and experiences though. Old dog do you have an alignment tool?

Well all I’ve ever read and heard was the opposite. Everywhere I’ve looked people say thats a big fault in the 787s. Everyone has their opinions and experiences though. Old dog do you have an alignment tool?
You need to talk to more knowledgeable people, LOL.
No, on the seadoo's there is no reliability reasor or other good reason to convert to premix, Whoever told you that is flat wrong. In fact on a 787 you still have to supply oil to the rotary gear even if you did go to premix.
These systems do not fail, the only thing that fails are the little 3/32" oil lines get hard after 20 years and crack so they should be replaced every 10 years and that is it.

Thanks Legacy for the link, will be doing that. As for the premix debate I've read on this forum that premix is the way to go and I've also read don't bother. Mine was already setup for premix (block off kit and all). This is my first jetski and my first rebuild so some slack would be appreciated.

It's not the pumps it was the plastic part that goes on the crank snout that fails. Original was white they redesigned and changed to a black piece

If you decide to keep it premix there’s nothing wrong with that and it’s your choice. We are just letting you know that there’s no reliability reason to ditch the oil injection.

That being said you are still going to need a way to keep a constant supply of oil in the rotary valve cavity.

Not busting on you....premix is expensive, you will be amazed at much less oil you go through using the pump....I converted mine back to injected as the previous owner blocked it off

It's not the pumps it was the plastic part that goes on the crank snout that fails. Original was white they redesigned and changed to a black piece
Man I'm glad you posted this. I'm pretty new to watercraft even though I restore the Seadoos. Good Information. I often look at those plastic drives for the pump with suspicion. Got the whole engine riding on that plastic. LOL

Black is the one to update to. It's from a 787rfi. White is original the small square end goes into the crank they have been known to break. Black the fingers sit on the nut on the crank. cc9cd75f0b3ecae4eb3cdd91fe2c2559.jpg4e9e513aaf8ea795d0052a36e879c6f1.jpg

Thanks for the side by side picture. You have convinced me. :) Day Yum... the whole life of the engine riding on the little piece of crap. Good Stuff !!!

I have an alignment tool and I am just a bit north of Columbia, SC (Blythewood). Depending on where outside of Charlotte you are, it would be about a 1-1.5 hour drive. Let me know if your other options don't work out and we will see if we can get together on the alignment. NOTE: I am not an expert like some of the others you are talking to on the forum. I have aligned one engine, but glad to help if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back