787 Crankshaft Counterbalance alignment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

inject

Hi all, I have been caught with no marks on the crankshaft to align the counterbalance shaft. I have read the following thread

"First, it is called a COUNTERbalancer shaft. That means the porkchops should be the OPPOSITE of the porkchops on the crankshaft. A crankshaft has pins that hold it together. I align the center of the pins of the porkchops with the case half mating surfaces. Then I stand back and look at the crankshaft and counterbalancer and check to see that the counterbalancers (porkchops) are working opposite of each other. If all pins are aligned with the case halfs, and the counterbalancers are working opposite of each other, you cannot get it wrong, no matter where the alignment marks may be."

A picture saves a thousand words and also for others faced with the same problem, the pictures may help.

Given the thread above, have I got the timing correct?

Cheers and thanks for any help.
Crank_end.jpgCrank_gear_end.jpgCrank_top.jpg

It looks right but you really should have taken pic with the crank in the correct postion

What I mean by that is:

In this pic you show the counter balance with the index mark to the outside of the case, it should be to the inside that way you could see the index mark on the crank (I know you don't have one), but sometimes they are a circle, or a very faint dash that is almost covered by the bearing or blue paint.

attachment.php

In this one you show it to the inside when it should be to the outside.

attachment.php

But in this one you show them in the correct positions. Not a big deal but confusing to say the least. I was beginning to think the CB gear was pressed on wrong(until I looked towards the rear of the case), but the notches should be 180 from each other on the CB weights (gear side notch to the inside of the case, front weight notch to the outside of the case). But by looking at it it looks correct, good job.

attachment.php

Here is a pic of the very small tick mark on the gear and the second one you can kinda see the blue paint mark and I've had one with a round stamped circle which was by far the best.

275.jpg

264.jpg

Great reply!
Sliding this thread over to the appropriate section....

Thanks racerxxx for the excellent quick response.

You are correct, I should have set it up in the correct position for all photos. I also should have checked for marks when dismantling but I thought all timing gears had marks. I'm not the only one to be caught, it must be common. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back