787 crank seal leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
that would be my concern, gear oil doesn't atomize like injection oil, which means it would have to go somewhere!
I am thinking 00 grease. It is a grease designed for lawn mower spindle bearing heads.....pourable grease. Much heavier than 90/140....think consistency of pourable ketchup

I am thinking 00 grease. It is a grease designed for lawn mower spindle bearing heads.....pourable grease. Much heavier than 90/140....think consistency of pourable ketchup
I think your spot on here--bottom line, thin enough to permeate the RV bearings and components, thick enough not to migrate through the seal lands.

I think your spot on here--bottom line, thin enough to permeate the RV bearings and components, thick enough not to migrate through the seal lands.
We will find out eventually. I have a good running 717 with bad seals. Wish I had thought about this more before buying a new engine

We will find out eventually. I have a good running 717 with bad seals. Wish I had thought about this more before buying a new engine
Keep in mind that the inner rotary bearing is shielded so that super thick stuff might not reach it very well. That would be my only concern.

Keep in mind that the inner rotary bearing is shielded so that super thick stuff might not reach it very well. That would be my only concern.
I've got the same issue. Leaking oil from bottom of case and leaving a cloud of smoke at the ramp. Has anyone tried the 00 grease? I have 2 787s in my Challenger and am considering dumping 00 grease in oil tank,am running premix.

I've got the same issue. Leaking oil from bottom of case and leaving a cloud of smoke at the ramp. Has anyone tried the 00 grease? I have 2 787s in my Challenger and am considering dumping 00 grease in oil tank,am running premix.
So, post gate valve install, problem totally solved for now, its working great--something to consider too, even with the valve shut off, the column of oil in both the supply and vent line will provide an oil supply for multiple hours if not fuel tanks of operation. the rotary shaft chamber will stay full of oil until the oil in the lines gradually depletes through bearing seal leakage, and without the head of pressure from the tank with the valve closed, that's going to take a long time.

PS, we ended up using a 1/2 PEX 1/4 turn ball valve, it fit like it was made for it!! This was a 10 minute job, it actually took more time to buy the valve than even close to installing it.

Hmmm, so you crack open the valve periodically to maintain some oil In the case(s)? Did you put the valve up by the tank or low near case level? Mine is leaking like a sieve now and will drain out in a couple days. Am thinking to install valve low and opening when going out and closing upon return.

Hmmm, so you crack open the valve periodically to maintain some oil In the case(s)? Did you put the valve up by the tank or low near case level? Mine is leaking like a sieve now and will drain out in a couple days. Am thinking to install valve low and opening when going out and closing upon return.
We put it about 8-10 inches below the oil tank outlet. So far the level in line that runs back to the top of the tank at the vent opening hasn’t changed at all. We identified an easily reachable spot in the supply line where the valve could lay and be easy to operate.

Also so far, we’ve run it plenty without opening the valve, and again, the vent line level hasn’t changed enough to notice.

Previously, after a week or so without operation, we’d have either oil in the cylinder and it hydro-locked, or, it’ would be very smokey

Hi friends, I have an 787 Gtx Rfi with idle trouble, fouling spark near stator. Last run about 6650/6700 but no good sea. I've checked all, changed rotary valve. I'm thinking maybe the seal is bad. Can I install a valve like the photo and get the trouble solve? Can you make any more photo to copy your solution? Thank you so much

Thanks for the advice. On the '97 challenger 1800 it is the 1/2" line, right from bottom of tank, that feeds the cases. The 1/4" line, left from bottom of tank, feeds the oil pumps. Since I'm premix, have no flow through 1/4 line. Am putting a 1/2 inch valve before T in line to cases. Perhaps a little different than your install, but think should do the job.
1629059560646.png

Oops, missed your PS above with the 1/2" valve. Back to home Depot for me. Am also getting a length of 1/2 inch vinyl for adjusting head or valve height as needed.

Hi friends, I have an 787 Gtx Rfi with idle trouble, fouling spark near stator. Last run about 6650/6700 but no good sea. I've checked all, changed rotary valve. I'm thinking maybe the seal is bad. Can I install a valve like the photo and get the trouble solve? Can you make any more photo to copy your solution? Thank you so much
Does your cyl that is fouling plugs get oil flooding into it? After mine sets for a few days, I need pull plugs and blow out the oil just to start.

Does your cyl that is fouling plugs get oil flooding into it? After mine sets for a few days, I need pull plugs and blow out the oil just to start.
When is in trailer always start, but, hot in water, never. I've checked rectifier, new spark plugs, if I adjust to 0,20 get worse. All sensor are ok. I cut a little the wire of spark plugs. I adjusted TPS with candoo getting real zero tps(2,6) and other falses values(4,6/6/7) Last try to adjust idle is imposible about 3000rpm in trailer.

I only think the seal can be fouling the spark near stator.

Can you help? Do you have any idea?

Sometimes in hot out of water start like very rich mix

Compression 145psi stator 150 intake water

Last edited:
When is in trailer always start, but, hot in water, never. I've checked rectifier, new spark plugs, if I adjust to 0,20 get worse. All sensor are ok. I cut a little the wire of spark plugs. I adjusted TPS with candoo getting real zero tps(2,6) and other falses values(4,6/6/7) Last try to adjust idle is imposible about 3000rpm in trailer.

I only think the seal can be fouling the spark near stator.

Can you help? Do you have any idea?
Does not sound like crank seal symptoms unless heavy smoke upon starting.

On my race 800 LTD,,,we just have a loop from one side to the other,,,have a T at the top above the motor bracket,,,to top it up now and then,,,all the racers have been doing for decades,

On my race 800 LTD,,,we just have a loop from one side to the other,,,have a T at the top above the motor bracket,,,to top it up now and then,,,all the racers have been doing for decades,
Sounds like a similar setup, we just leaving a tank at top of loop for recharge.

Yes, I was keeping that in mind and it was one of my biggest concerns when trying this experiment. The material I put in was "grease" but was very "liquid" so I hoped it would still have elements to it that would leach into the bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back