787 Balance Shaft Gear Removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Is there a safe and sane method of removing the balance shaft gear to replace the lip seals? If in a hydraulic press I assume a 3/4" spacer is needed due to the offset. and the ability to push as close to the hub as possible. I thought of using a bearing puller and heat but I don't want to risk bending the gear by applying pressure too far from the hub.

You just need to support it in the middle. I have the Harbor Freight 20 ton press and just used the "V" notched plates that came with it. A little heat on the middle of the gear helps too. My best advise it to mark it, mark it and mark it again for alignment as there are no factory marks.

That press has been the best money I have spent on my garage in 20 years. Catch it when it is on sale and get a 20% off coupon that they have all the time.

I have had my eye on that press "mikidymac" and the price ain't bad at all. I have a press at home I patterned after a 100ton we had at work. I wanted and plan on putting an electric pump and 13" ram on it. Overkill ta da max !! LOL

I am very good with heat and such but those little parts scare me. They melt, distort, and loose their temper easily. :) I will be most careful thanks for the info yet again !! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back