787/800 Rotary Shaft Brass Gear Play- Does this look right to you?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

treetopflyer737

So I just rebuilt the twin 787 motors in my Seadoo Challenger 1800 and went out for my first test run this past weekend. One of the motors wouldn't rev up past 3000 and was blubbering the whole time as if timing was off. I knew my countershaft and crank was timed correctly so I checked the Rotary Valve timing one more time. I literally watched the rotary valve slip timing once I set it correctly again and knew I had a problem with the brass gear. Tore down the motor today to reveal a section of teeth that was sheared off.

I did have the rotary valve cover O-ring pinch during my first install causing it to twang when starting (o-ring jumped out of its groove and got shredded up by rotating rotary valve plate. I replaced the o-ring and reinstalled the cover and carbs only to have the new problem the motor not revving up and blubbering. Do you think this was enough force to shear these teeth off our did I install the shaft incorrectly during my rebuild? Is the play shown in this video normal for that brass gear or should I get a new spring for the shaft while I replace the brass gear?

[video=youtube;e5aQhU0MbSc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5aQhU0MbSc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

That play is not correct. Check the little black c clips when you disassemble it.

Here are all the pieces

323.jpg

Here is what it looks like asembled, you's does not show any spring compression what so ever. I'll be the c clip is broke or never installed if that shaft was rebuilt.

324.jpg

First pic does not show the little black clips. I'll see if I can find another one of my pics

The C clip that holds tension on the spring was out of its groove and alongside the other c clip. Going to replace both c clips and order new brass gear. Thanks a lot for the detailed pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back