717 not hold compression

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

rkkoeb

So I picked up a 1997 GTI with the 717 motor in it for a project. Went to do a compression test today and compression went up on my tester but as soon as I stop cranking it over the compression dropped to 0. I also notice there was a ton of oil in the cylinders when I was cranking it over. Why does my compression drop to 0?

So I picked up a 1997 GTI with the 717 motor in it for a project. Went to do a compression test today and compression went up on my tester but as soon as I stop cranking it over the compression dropped to 0. I also notice there was a ton of oil in the cylinders when I was cranking it over. Why does my compression drop to 0?
That’s really weird because your compression tester should hold the pressure until you release it. For compression it doesn’t have to hold pressure, just take note of how high the compression got. The excessive oil is probably due to bad inner oil seals in the crank. That excessive oil probably gave you a false compression reading as well. What did you get for compression?

It went up to around 150. My buddy who is a car mechanic said the same thing. I think tomorrow I will turn over motor again and get oil out of cylinders and lean gauge and test cylinders again

It went up to around 150. My buddy who is a car mechanic said the same thing. I think tomorrow I will turn over motor again and get oil out of cylinders and lean gauge and test cylinders again
You should be able to get most of the oil out by just cranking the engine over with the plugs out.

Back