717 head damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spm77

I have a 1996 GSX with a 717, I took off the head and found damage, is there a way to fix it or should I just replace it.

Attachments

• 20200419_172245.jpg
    20200419_172245.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 59
  • 20200419_172242.jpg
    20200419_172242.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 61
That should be a 787 in a GSX. I’d say that head is trashed. You’ll want to replace it, but the bigger question is what caused the damage. Don’t just throw a new head on it and try to run it. You need to find the debris that caused it.

I took the whole thing apart the pistons and rings where trashed, everything else was good and for what ever reason there's a 717 in this thing.

Are you sure you have the engine and model correct? The 787 and 717 engines mount completely different and would require reglassing the hull for the different engine mounts.

Maybe a GS?

Unless at some point the previous owner put an new fly wheel case on it

Attachments

• 20200411_145548.jpg
    20200411_145548.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 39
I have a 1996 GSX with a 717, I took off the head and found damage, is there a way to fix it or should I just replace it.
1996 SP & SPI = 587 engine
1996 SPX = 717 engine
1996 XP = 787 engine
1996 GTS= 587 engine
1996 GTI = 717 engine
1996 HX = 717 engine
1996 GSX & GTX = 787 engine

Are you sure it's a '96? What are the last 2 digits of the HULL id? - that's the model year

Last edited:
That’s the confusion. The GSX never came with a 717... Can you post a picture of the ski itself so we know what we’re working with?

Got the year from the last 2 numbers on the hall and the 717 from the flywheel, got the ski from a friend of mine for free who knows what he had done to it but everything looks stock inside of it.

Attachments

• 20190617_175722.jpg
    20190617_175722.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
So I just wasted everyone's time its a 1997 GS with a 717
That's not a problem....we just couldn't get to understand why you kept calling out a model that did not come with that particular engine.....the forum is here to ASK questions.....the dumbest question is the one you DON'T ask......questions are FREE, mistakes can be costly....so ASK away.
Once we know the proper ski...we can offer the proper guidance....they all have their little idiosyncrasies.

I took the decals off when I first picked it up and didn't remember the model, just finishing up the engine now to get it in the water.

I took the decals off when I first picked it up and didn't remember the model, just finishing up the engine now to get it in the water.
WOW...you went from that beat up cylinder head posted on Sunday to a almost ready to rumble ski in 4 days? Damn! :cool:

If I’m understanding things right, you thought you were about ready to go, and then found the head to be scarred up like that. Is that correct?

From the looks of it, you’ve had some large debris inside that motor. Have you checked the bottom end to see if there is damage there also?

found the damage when I tour down the engine, all the damage was in the top end, I just put the bottom end back together

what did you do with the bottom end? How did the bearing surfaces look? I can’t imagine that much damage was done to the top end without putting some kind of abrasives down into the bottom...

Either way, you’re looking at a replacement head. I’d call Nick or Jess at Westside Powersports. They’ll have something in stock.

I think all the damage came from the rings, all the bottom end components where good, I cleaned up everthing changed out the end seals on it and put it back together.

Well to be honest, I think you’re taking a bit of a gamble there. I probably would have sent it in as a core on a rebuild. You’re in it too far for that now though! Call and see if you can get a used head on the way and let us know how it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back