717 Engine question (to rebuild or not)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal GTI

Bought this '96 GTI from a guy that bought from another and did not fix, just sold, so I have no history on this engine at all. When I got it, I could not turn the crank at all, assumed the engine was froze up. Later I was able to turn completely over, then weeks later it fouled internally and could only turn it 1/4 turn of crank rotation.
This past week started to dig in and removed the intake manifold (which had been sitting with no carbs on it, open to the elements for I have no idea how long, so assume some kind of debris got in). When I pulled the manifold, no sign of contamination or debris. Now could turn engine almost 360, full rotation, but stopped just short. Tonight, in prep for tear down, I pulled the exhaust manifold and find I can rotate the engine 360 without issue, but as you can see from pics below, there was in fact something fouling the plate and scoring of the intake manifold surface. No noticeable debris was found in the area where I pulled the exhaust manifold off, so i still have no idea what was fouling, stopping rotation and scoring the surfaces.
Couple of questions;
1 - If debris fell into the crankcase through the intake when the engine sat and traveled down into the crankcase, is there room under the crank for any to lie (hardware, etc. under the crank) or is it a very tight area and most likely whatever scored the plate and intake fell outside the engine? What are the chnaces of something still inside the crankcase?
2 - Is the scoring of the intake surface and / or plate a concern if i reassemble or rebuild the engine and use it (which I plan to do)?
3 - Personal opinions on rebuilding this engine or putting it back together and run with it as is?
Thanks

Attachments

• 717-1.jpg
    717-1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 717-2.jpg
    717-2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 717-3.jpg
    717-3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 717-4.jpg
    717-4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
I've seen cases and covers fairly cheap on ebay, I scored a 787 cover up pretty bad from having the lip over machined too much. To fix my mistake, I bought another new RV and cover for about $45 total.

I'd probably take chance with those cases, but get another RV cover and maybe another valve if it's rough or scored up. I've seen cases scored up worse than that and it run, but your call.

If you think there's a chance somethings still down in the case, by all means split it open and look, don't run it.

Last edited:
Those cases are trash.
Once the groove connects the two ports it won’t run so those are done, especially the thicker groove as it looks pretty deep.

The debris that scored the cases can absolutely still be down in the crank.

If it was me I would order an engine, cover and rotary valve from SBT and just enjoy the ski.

I've talked with SBT and Fullbore. Fullbore can shave the damaged area off the block / inlet from teh carbs to the cylinders. Either way I need a new plate and rotating valve / plate. Will the added clearance from the shaved block surface be an issue?
Opinions - better to have my original block rebuilt via Fullbore or go exchange and svae $$ at SBT?
Thanks

The shop will machine it correctly so it won’t be an issue.

Full bore does better work than SBT but they take longer to get you a rebuilt. SBT ships immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back