Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I guess I need to sell this head because I cannot find domes anywhere.These domes are 36cc, and I want to run 95 octane so I guess I would need 41cc??.. Was going to sell for an ADA racing head, but your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 34
ADA is still in business so parts are available. The Buckshot 720 head is super rare so I'd just see if you can sell it as is.

Matt, can I have the machinist mill the 36cc domes I have in this buckshot to make them acceptable to run 96 octane? What does a micrometer measure on an appropriate size dome? I guess I cant sell this head so if I modify the domes I can get it to work. What is your best recommendation on octane and compression PSI? I dont want to go above 96 octane, thinking I can mix avgas with 93 to obtain a reliable octane rating.

Keep in mind that 100LL avgas is not truly 100 octane if you use the same rating system as automotive gasoline. If you use the R+M/2 method to calculate it, 100LL is actually 96 octane. Despite the “low lead” in the name, it also contains far more lead than even the old pump gas from the 60’s. It’s super rare for anyone to check, but the EPA fine if you get caught with the blue dyed fuel in a watercraft is huge... I know there are some out there that use it in place of race gas, but i wanted to put that out there before you made a decision.

OK, normally I run 93 with Klotz octane booster.....Tetra-lead additive. What do you suggest to boost my compression without having to run AVGAS?

Depending on where you’re at exactly, I’d look for either a Sunoco or VP dealer that you could get 100 octane unleaded from and mix that. Most automotive racetracks will have a fuel supplier close by, and a lot of them even offer it at the pump so you can fill a couple of jerry cans. I believe the Sunoco is branded as 260 GT and VP has a couple of different options.

You know, as I’m doing a little more research, you may actually be able to use leaded fuel as long as you’re running in the ocean and not a reservoir system... If that’s the case, I’d probably look at mixing 25% C12 with pump 93 octane. I’d still avoid avgas, as you’re not going to want to run it straight like you would have to in order to get to 96. “Low Lead” is 1.2-2g per gallon of gas, which is two to three times the amount that used to be in pump gas.

ok well my bigger issue is trying to figure out if I can have these domes milled down, or finding the right cc domes for this buckshot head. right now is 36cc for 110 octane, too high.

Matt’s going to be your guy for that. He’s probably the most knowledgeable person we’ve got when it comes to aftermarket part for these motors. I’m sure he’ll jump back in and point you in the right direction...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back