$650 to replace a DESS post?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

beergut

hi guys- 2008 GTX 215. new battery, fuses good, engine turns over when bypassing the solenoid (doesn't start of course)
ski doesn't wake-up when the key is on the post- nothing. Dealer says it needs a new post, key, (and part of the wiring harness?) and reprogram- $650 total bill...
seems high to me. Is this something I can do at home and just have someone program it? Not sure what "part of the wire harness" means...?

Id get a second opinion. It’s rarely both the post and the key/ecu at the same time (assuming that’s what they meant by reprogramming)

Total rip off. Replacing the post won't need programming. I can change that post in 15 minutes without even removing the dash pad.

I've torn apart jet pumps and engines, replaced cables and repaired hulls- but never the ignition! lol.
I'm picking it up from the dealer tomorrow- out $100 for the diag. guess I'll buy a new post and install it- still not sure how the whole dess key works and if it'll need programming. this is the only dealer close to me, the next dealer is a 90 minute drive one way.

Total rip off. Replacing the post won't need programming. I can change that post in 15 minutes without even removing the dash pad.

So, I can't find any mention in the 700+ page service manual - I'm assuming the only time you need to program the key is when either the key or ecu has been replaced, there's no difference in the post other than 3 or 4 wire? I bought the 2008 gtx 215 for $3k- it's in mint condition- everything is like new- came with nice trailer and seadoo gtx cover. He was asking $4500 but when I arrived to see it, he said the key wasn't working. He put a new battery in it as well. I was about to walk away when he said $3k and it's mine. It was owned by an older gent who lived in a 5000sqft house, both he and his wife are Physicians. I took it to the dealer and this is his exact write up:
"DESS POST TESTED BAD, STEERING POST HARNESS NEEDS TO BE TAKEN APART AND RE PLUGGED IN TO REPLACE IT. THEN WILL NEED TO BE PROGRAMMED. WE'VE FOUND THIS PROCEDURE TO BE NO EASY TASK WITH OLDER MACHINES"
$101.99 for the part and $545 for labor.... I brought the ski back home after paying the $95 diag fee.
I just ordered a new dess post 278002774 - I'll replace the post and keep my fingers crossed.

Good choice bringing it home. The dealer should be ashamed for charging that. There is absolutely no programming required for a post change but even that takes about 5 minutes to program a key. You can look up the flat rate schedule in the BRP service manual to see how long BRP says it should take to change. I'm guessing it is no more than 1 hour.

The DESS post is just a magnetic switch(actually 2 circuits) so there is nothing to program. The DESS key has a chip in it with a specific code. Every single DESS key is unique. The ECU has to be programmed to accept this specific code.

Around 2003 Seadoo began making complete harnesses for the steering column. Dealers will try to sell you the complete harness so they can charge more. The DESS post can easily be changed without changing the whole harness. The only difference in all the DESS posts are 3 wire and 4 wire depending on year and type.

You could’ve bought a Candoo for that price.
i didnt pay that price- thats what they were charging. i paid $30 for a new post on ebay- put it in and still nothing- so now I'm assuming it's the ecm or mpem. :( it's currently under 3' of snow now until spring...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back