587 Engine Oil Colliquy (Low Ash v Ash Less

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfBeat

I've read almost every thread pertaining to the issue of the type of oil to use in a Sea Doo.

Although there are some great posts on this subject I've focused on two posts:

1) SeaDooSnype recommendation to use Quicksilver PWC because his engine is a 787 and there is no Sea Doo shop nearby;

2) Dr. Honda, who stated that Quicksilver Premium Oil (QSPO) is a very good substitute for XPX oil, conditioned that it is used in earlier Sea Doo's, primarily 587 engines.

Having used Valvoline TC-W3 for the past 2-3 years because I did not believe all of the hype about only using a API TC certified oil, the past month found me learning how to remove an engine from the hull and disassembling it to replace a defective crank in my 93 GTX because it froze. (replaceable parts were in good shape, albeit there were signs that the bearings had overheated. The defective part was the crank itself because of a defect when manufactured)

Because I have replaced the crank ($250) and two years ago I had a complete engine rebuilt, thus now, again, I have almost a new engine, to be on the safe side I've decided to follow the Operators Guide and the recommendations on this site and use API TC oils.

That said, as pointed out above, I am focusing on two threads authored by SeaDooSnype and the good Dr. Honda in deciding what oil is best for my 587 engine.

Although Dr. Honda suggests QSPO is a good substitute for XPS oils for a 587 engine, I noted that the 1993 Operators Guide (OG) urges the consumer to use Low Ash API TC oil. QSPO is not Low Ash, but is an Ashless API TC oil.

That said, I found the OG recommendation odd because of the fact that the first generation XPS engine oil that was used for 93 SD's was an Ashless oil and was changed a few years later to an Low Ash because of the higher temperatures generated by the 787 engines, the type owned by SeaDooSnype.

Based upon further research I learned that although Low Ash oils typically provide added protection, however, contrary to what most people believe, whether or not the oil is Low Ash or Ashless should not be the focus point, but rather what is more important is the oil quality classification, i.e., NMMA/TC-W3, API TC, etc.

Based upon the foregoing, since I have a 587 engine, thus there are no rave valves in my engine, using the Quicksilver PWC synthetic blend would not provide and better benefits than using QuickSilvers Ashless API TC Premium (not Premium Plus) and should keep my engine running for another 15 years.

On the other hand, would I be better off using Quicksilvers PWC synthetic blend?

Although SeaDooSnype uses full synthetic QS PWC engine oil, I shall presume, arguendo, that the synthetic blend and full synthetic are closer to one another than QS Premium.

I am not trying to offend anyone, just trying to get the facts as Joe Friday would do. What do ya think?

2) Dr. Honda, who stated that Quicksilver Premium Oil (QSPO) is a very good substitute for XPX oil, conditioned that it is used in earlier Sea Doo's, primarily 587 engines.

No I didn't. The only oil from Quicksilver I recommend is PWC. (I don't personally recommend using TC-w3 oils in any of the rotax engines)

I did say that SeaDoo originally advised people with Yellow 587 engines to use TC-w oils... but they changed their position on that, and now the official oil is a certified API-TC oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oil

I'm told that you can't do better than KLOTZ Jet Ski oil. This is recommeded from two different marine mechanics. This is what I just started running in the two spi's I just bought. It's expensive but I'm told it's worth it.

Thanks,
Dan

I'm told that you can't do better than KLOTZ Jet Ski oil. This is recommeded from two different marine mechanics. This is what I just started running in the two spi's I just bought. It's expensive but I'm told it's worth it.

Thanks,
Dan

Marine mechanics... or Seadoo mechanics???

Klotz makes very good oil, but Rotax engines aren't your normal marine 2-stroke. Most of manufactures of Marine engines recommend a TC-w3 oil... in a Rotax/SeaDoo engine, it needs API-TC oil. The parent company of SeaDoo (Bombardier) manufactures Johnson evenrude engines... and those engines run just fine on TC-w3 oils.

The real answer to your oil is... what is it's certification???? I can guaranty that if it's a TC-w3 oil... it will not let your engine run for very long.

If you don't trust what I say... ask the guy who started this post. He thought he would get away with a TC-w3 oil... and his engines lasted a year.

I'm told that you can't do better than KLOTZ Jet Ski oil.

This is the second problem. That's an opinion from a mechanic. I don't trust mechanics. (most of the time)

Run it for a season, and let us know how your engines are holding up. :cheers:

Got cha, Dr. Honda!

You got me when I misquoted you regarding my erroneous interpretation of your post regarding your approval to use of TCW3 oils in 587's, so now I gotta' do the same to you'al! (funing only)

With respect to my original Thread regarding my use of Valvoline TCW3 oil in both of my 93 GTX's, I thought I had changed from Sea Doo oil to Valvoline two years (NOT ONE, Dr. H) prior to the engine failure in one of my Doo's.

I now must amend that Thread because since I posted it I found the original receipt from the shop that rebuilt my entire engine.

The engine was completely rebuilt (587cc) in June 2005 and until the last day of summer last year I only used Valvoline TCW3 oil.

I run my Doos at least seven days a month on the Colorado River, beginning in May and up until the end of October.

Being a senior citizen, I don't race my Doo's, but I do go fast when I am goofing off for short durations.

When my engine seized last September, after I diagnosed the problem (with the helpful wisdom from Dr. Honda, SeeDooScipe and a myriad of other knowledgeable Joe's on this site) the diagnosis was a defective crankshaft.

When I was disassembling the engine to get to the crank, because I did not have the requisite tools to remove the PTO and MAG flywheel, off it went to a local shop that purportedly specialized in rebuilding crankshafts.

I got a call a few days later and was advised that the Web on my crankshaft was defective, thus the reason the CS froze.

I was also TOLD that the bearings had a blue tinge to them, indicating that they were subject to over-heating.

When I asked the mechanic what caused the bearings to overheat, he replied, MAYBE because of the type of oil I used.

When I told him that I used Valvoline TCW3, he replied, that MAY likely be the reason the bearings overheated.

In consideration that: 1) I did not actually see the bearings; 2) the fact that I have read that the reason an API TC rated oil must be used in Sea Doo's is based on SD's having a Rotary Valve; and 3) the fact that my RV appeared brand new, I still wonder, did the type of oil I use (TCW3) cause the problem?

Notwithstanding item # 3, above, in consideration that: 1) my SD Operators Guide specifically advises not to use a TCW3 oil and to only use a API TC certified oil; 2) the wealth of knowledge on the subject of oil by several Guru's mentioned above, as well as a myriad pilot mechanics that use Bombadier Rotax engines; 3) the contradictory advise given on another Forum on this subject by a knowledgeable SD mechanic who claims that he never saw a SD engine failure caused by the use of TCW3 oil, (you do the research), to ensure that I don't find myself tearing my engine apart in the too foreseeable future, I am following the advice of Dr. H and SDScipe and only using a API TC certified oil in my 93 GTX's.

In my case, notwithstanding the fact that my Doo's are probably worth less than $2500, (including trailer and the goodies attached thrreto) when considering that I may spend an extra $48 for Quicksilver PCW blend oil each summer @ $28 a gallon for both Doo's in contrast to Valvoline TCW3 at $16-$18 a gallon, I will make the extra expenditure to hopefully avoid future engine problems.

DISCLAIMER: I am only a shade tree mechanic that is stumbling along on this Forum, getting all the advise I can from much more knowledgeable people than I, so, with that fact in mind, along with my complete story set forth above, proceed as you deem best for your specific situation.

This forum is great for information, I've learned so much already. When you're new at this there is so much to take in and I feel everyone knows more than me about these machines. I have a friend who was told by a mechanic about the Klotz oil and he said it's the best thing we can put in these sd's.
So without regard to cost ($50.) I said I'll do it because I want the best protection and as little as we will use the jet ski's price isn't really a factor to me. They don't use enough oil for it to matter, I just want the best protection.
Now I'm wandering though if this was a mistake to buy this but when I was at the marina that takes care of most of the jet ski's in the area..I was buying all kinds of stuff including fuel treatment for ethanol, I mentioned the Klotz oil to them and they said it's the best oil out there and they didn't even carry it. I would have bought their oil in a flash but because of what they said I thought I was doing the right thing by using the Klotz.
Since then I now bought a 1995 XP (720)...love it. I bought four jet ski's in the last two weeks. The price of these things anymore they are almost disposable . What I mean by that is $700. is the most I've spent for one and if it craps out I could sell it for parts and buy another one...there are alot of them out there in that price range.
Anyway I am rambling now but I do appreciate the knowledge of this forum..you guys are great.
Thanks,
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back