4 tech 155 Mods.... even worth the hassle ? How well does it handle chop/Ocean.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spimothy Leary

For the past few months i've been looking around for an SuperCharged Doo to use as a loaner/offshore riding but last weekend I stumbled across an 04 GTX 155, this one was in good shape, under 100 hours, and the price was fantastic. I'm 80% sure i'm going to hold onto this although If i'm disappointed in it I might sell it and use the funds to find a SC ski.

I have a little seat time on this exact model but only for a couple of hours and on Flat water so I don't know much about it to be honest so I have a couple of questions.

First, for anybody that has spent time on this out in the Ocean/Chop, how well does it handle rough water, does it cut through it pretty good and offer a relatively stable ride ? ie: how would you compare it to the older RXP's, or the T3 hull ? When riding offshore with my other ski (Honda R12) I have a hell of a time keeping pace with my ride buddies with newer SD hulls, anything over 35 and i'm getting the crap beat out of me, and they can generally cruise closer to 40-45 w/o getting banged around, I have to exert quite a bit more effort so I don't slow them down. I'm hoping this model might cut through the chop and stay hooked up a little better where I can keep up w/o having such a workout.

I'm usually not much into modding & I realize with the 155 my options are quite limited but if i'm going to keep this I'm wondering if it makes sense to help it along a little bit on top speed and possibly improve handling a tad.

I've done a wee bit of research, enough that I felt asking some questions might help me make some decisions, or make the decision to do nothing.

Opas Blockoff ?
Replace Air Filter with the intake ?
Riva Exhaust ?
Pump Wedge ?
anything else ?

from what limited research i've seen doing all or some of the above might add around 3mph ?

Not quite sure its worth the hassle, since we really don't do many speed runs, and if we do, being 3mph faster isn't going to be less embarrassing.

Lastly, has anyone ever replaced the sponson's with something that will help it carve a little better ? Just curious since some of my offshore runs include some side routes through mangroves and i'm hesitant to take this through some of the tighter area's and end up sliding into the tree's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Score!

As with any engine I would do away with the restrictive air cleaner and do a cold air intake.
Go to discount and get K & N type filter that does not aire metal mesh.
I replace it yearly.

Get short 6" - 8" Aluminum 3" tube or SS or the plastic one they sell to tuck it under engine opening.
Look at what Kompesor did or Ramage to Spark.

Couple hose clamps and you you opened space and let it breathe better.

If you don't mind drone remove plastic water-box if it has oneIi've done that to my VX too).

Both make trigger feel better while gaining that 1mph.
With the current.
:rolleyes:

Other than intake grate I'm sure power wise.

I have a 05 RXT which is the same basic hull as your GTX, and an 04 RXP. The RXT is a more stable and smoother ride in the chop. I have ridden both the T3 and S3 hulls, and the T3 is much better in the chop than your GTX or my RXT, and the S3 is even better in the chop.

As a general rule, it has been said many times that it takes about a grand per mile per hour increase in speed. Certainly not 100% accurate, but not too far off either. So things, like adding an impeller, may require something else to get the gain of the new impeller. So, you have to get a "tune" for example in order to utilize the true ability of the impeller, thus,,,, 2 grand later you gain 2 or 3 mph..

The 155 runs very well for what it is. Most of the 155's hit 50 mph or close to it pretty quick and they can maintain this speed with little issue.

I have a 05 RXT which is the same basic hull as your GTX, and an 04 RXP. The RXT is a more stable and smoother ride in the chop. I have ridden both the T3 and S3 hulls, and the T3 is much better in the chop than your GTX or my RXT, and the S3 is even better in the chop.

thanks, about what I was expecting to hear, better than the older RXP's (quite similar to my R12) but not quite as good as the new hulls.

As a general rule, it has been said many times that it takes about a grand per mile per hour increase in speed. Certainly not 100% accurate, but not too far off either. So things, like adding an impeller, may require something else to get the gain of the new impeller. So, you have to get a "tune" for example in order to utilize the true ability of the impeller, thus,,,, 2 grand later you gain 2 or 3 mph..

The 155 runs very well for what it is. Most of the 155's hit 50 mph or close to it pretty quick and they can maintain this speed with little issue.

I'm certainly not willing to double the cost of the ski just to gain 3%, although the intake that ocod suggested is probably a logical mod to make even if its not about speed, but better breathing.

I think i'll just start with a run up the beach and see how it feels compared to what i'm used to, i'll follow my buddy on his 13' RXPX and see how well I can keep up.

I've always been able to keep pace, just a question on how hard I wanted to work to do so. We were laughing about that a couple week ago, did a run up the harbor in about 2' of chop and he stopped for 30 seconds because I was 200 yards behind and I was soaked from head to toe, he was still dry,

"did you fall off ?"
"fk no, i'm getting the crap beat out of me here"

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back