4 Stroke XPL?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RotaxBoi

Hey guys, i’ve been kicking around this project, i ride long distances and in lakes that only allow 4 strokes. i’ve seen a video of an XPL with a 4 stroke in it, I think it was in australia? I cant seem to find the video now:(

anyways i want to put a 155 engine into the XPL i just bought, any one tried anything like this before? Will it work?

Hey guys, i’ve been kicking around this project, i ride long distances and in lakes that only allow 4 strokes. i’ve seen a video of an XPL with a 4 stroke in it, I think it was in australia? I cant seem to find the video now:(

anyways i want to put a 155 engine into the XPL i just bought, any one tried anything like this before? Will it work?

It's been done a couple of times. An insane amount of work, so you'd better really love that ski to make it worth it.

I put a 4tec into a 1997 seadoo Challenger and can attest to the insane amount of work. I had the 787 in mine with the 140mm pump. With that setup, the 4tec output shaft was taller than what the boat would allow. I had to cut the pump tunnel and rear motor mount points and glass them into the boat hull. The XPL I believe has the 951 and a 155mm pump, so that may not be an issue. However, I also had build a custom fuel tank as the fuel pump needs to be secure, and LARGER, because I love to spend time out on the thing. The 155 will be more fuel efficient than your 951, but you'll still need a custom tank. Here's a link to my build: Challenger 4tec Upgrade - Page 2 - Seadoo Forums
PM me if you want to know who built that green masterpiece in the above video.

I put a 4tec into a 1997 Seadoo Challenger and can attest to the insane amount of work. I had the 787 in mine with the 140mm pump. With that setup, the 4tec output shaft was taller than what the boat would allow. I had to cut the pump tunnel and rear motor mount points and glass them into the boat hull. The XPL I believe has the 951 and a 155mm pump, so that may not be an issue. However, I also had build a custom fuel tank as the fuel pump needs to be secure, and LARGER, because I love to spend time out on the thing. The 155 will be more fuel-efficient than your 951, but you'll still need a custom tank.

PM me if you want to know who built that green masterpiece in the above video.
i've seen that green one online, it seems like it was way more complicated due to him having the supercharger and intercooler has to be placed. Hopefully the engine doesn't sit too high where the shafts won't line up as yours did on your boat as that would basically call it quits for me.

It's been done a couple of times. An insane amount of work, so you'd better really love that ski to make it worth it.
Yes I love the hull is the last smallish hull IMO that rides nice but still feel small and non boat like.

i've seen that green one online, it seems like it was way more complicated due to him having the supercharger and intercooler has to be placed. Hopefully the engine doesn't sit too high where the shafts won't line up as yours did on your boat as that would basically call it quits for me.

Yes I love the hull is the last smallish hull IMO that rides nice but still feel small and non boat like.

Then anything is possible with enough time, money, and knowledge.

Regardless of the height of the output shaft, I BELIEVE (might be wrong) that the 4tec XPL conversion requires a custom driveshaft.

That's not too big of a deal, I can get one made up probably, I still panning all of this, so it'll be a while before i post anything.

That's not too big of a deal, I can get one made up probably, I still panning all of this, so it'll be a while before i post anything.
You're gonna weld on this thing or get a new one machined? 6K RPM. if the plan is to piece together a shaft YIKEs !!

I have a 1998XPL and a 2003 XP DI. How are they to work on with the engines in the front. Are these better performers than the RX ?? I think the newly built engine that came with the 1998 is a BIG BORE. I'm gonna have to pull the head to verify.

I always hear horror stories about the DI models. They really have to be in perfect shape all the time or the top-end goes. Then again, I heard these 2 strokes need a top-end every 100hr anyway, so idk.

YIKEs..... no way. I need pavement and brakes for those speeds. LOL Good brakes.... good rubber, helmet and leathers. LOL

You're gonna weld on this thing or get a new one machined? 6K RPM. if the plan is to piece together a shaft YIKEs !!
if it needs to be short ill get it cut and re splined if it needs to be longer I'll get one made up, but that being said i've know people that cut and welded shafts without issues, so idk if its a big deal

depends
I always hear horror stories about the DI models. They really have to be in perfect shape all the time or the top-end goes. Then again, I heard these 2 strokes need a top-end every 100hr anyway, so idk.
yeah, the ski I picked up was a DI, idk what's wrong with it, low compression on one cylinder but has spark and cranks but won't start up, the guy I bought it from said no one wanted to touch it so I got it cheap.
The 951 engine is not very reliable imo, I've rebuilt mine at 100 hours to be preventative, but back in the year 2000, when I was racing, these things would blow left and right compared to the Kawasaki and Yamahas we were competing with, but its 130 horsepower out of two-cylinder with a big ass piston, you can't expect much lol

I'd get the supercharged engine. You don't have to go as fast as it can go. Also, you can trade speed for insane holeshot. It's what I did on my challenger conversion as the extra speed made it chine walk.

yeah, the ski I picked up was a DI, idk what's wrong with it, low compression on one cylinder but has spark and cranks but won't start up.

Check your air pump pressure. Also the injectors.... all 4 of them. I'd send them off for cleaning. I always do this before I start working on the skis. Good Luck !!

I'd get the supercharged engine. You don't have to go as fast as it can go. Also, you can trade speed for the insane holeshot. It's what I did on my challenger conversion as the extra speed made it chine walk.
I get that, but I really like the idea of an 87 octane build, I have a few other modified skis that I use to get my thrills on, this is really just gonna be my cruiser, plus if I get an intercooler version that makes a whole different issue with making room for the piping and cooler itself.

Check your air pump pressure. Also the injectors.... all 4 of them. I'd send them off for cleaning. I always do this before I start working on the skis. Good Luck !!

I have no intention of fixing this ski, I just wanted the clean hull for the swap $150 paid in full I'm not too attached to getting up and running.

Ah yes, 87 octane is definitely a factor. I agree. 155hp should be plenty. If you want more pop, shave the head and get a valve job.

IMO the 4stroke swap would only be worth the time and money if you are going to be boosted. According to google, the NA Rotax 155 weighs nearly 180 lbs more than the 951. I would imagine its no faster, possibly slower, than the 951 motor already in the ski.

IMO the 4stroke swap would only be worth the time and money if you are going to be boosted. According to Google, the NA Rotax 155 weighs nearly 180 lbs more than the 951. I would imagine its no faster, possibly slower, than the 951 motors already in the ski.
180 MORE? that can't be right? Is it? I'll have to check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back