4 Stroke Troubleshooting & Repairs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have people asking me to look at their skis and I'm not sure I want to get into the 4-Strokes. I have a Candoo and wouldn't mind upgrading to the full version. How about getting to the parts you need to work on.... compared to the early two stroke skis? Does anyone build the 4-stroke engines personally?

Last edited:
I've enjoyed owning my 4tec after years of 2strokes. I find it much more reliable. But recently I started having an issue where mine is eating the thrust bearing, which involves splitting the case to replace. I still haven't figured out why it's doing it. These engines are heavier and more complex, but they are more solid and dependable as well. There are typical things to watch out for, like hollow exhaust valves in the pre2007 models, ceramic clutch washers, failing superchargers, leaking intercoolers etc. Pulling these engines is also harder as they're bigger and way heavier. But if you know 4stroke motors, they're not bad.

Thanks for responding. I guess one can work on these and repair them but when it comes to a bad engine a decision has to be made. :) I might get at GTX 155 to ride personally for a bit. Who knows I might like it. :)

I liked my 185hp gtx for the few weeks I had it in January in NC. THEN I used it as donor for a special project. I have a 2009 yama fx ho, and I think I liked the seadoo more in terms of comfort and handling. They are worse on fuel though, but they have closed loop cooling and the valves all close when you shut it off. I once drowned my engine, got water everywhere, but it never got inside the motor because all valves were closed. Cool design!

You guys and those projects. LOL I don't have time to do my regular stuff and I'm retired. Ha ha

Sometimes people don’t get or forget that are valves close when we shut our engines off. What’s the first thing they do when they suspect water ingestion. They take the spark plugs out and crank the motor over a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back