4,000 RPM Limit 210HP Challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

raymondnic

I have a 2000 Challenger with the 210 Mercury engine in it. It ran great yesterday pulling tubes, running 50+mph, etc., but not any more. I was in a really weedy lake, and sucked up a lot of nasty weeds. The boat would then only do maybe 10mph at 4,000 RPM. I limped it back to the dock and loaded it on the trailer and called it a day. Spent all day trying to trouble shoot with the help of my neighbor who spent way more time on this than he should have.

Long story short, I pulled out a huge handful off weeks from the impeller. We then took the boat back to the lake, and it will only push around 4,000 RPM and get up to 30mph. Crazy thing is, in reverse it will rev up to 6-7000 RPM. While moving forward the boat feels like it's hitting a rev limiter or something and will not go above 4,000. If I turn the wheel to the left while under WOT, the boat will deviate from about 4,000 RPM to maybe 4,200 RPM. If I turn the wheel to the right under WOT the boat will drop from about 4,000 RPM to maybe 3,800 RPM.

We've checked the fuel, oil, and air, and it seems to be good there. Fuel pumps appear to be working ok, and carbs seem fine. I haven't changed the spark plugs yet, but beyond that, I'm just not sure what's going on. Could it be stuck in "limp" mode? Any way to recitify that?

Other than the 4,000 RPM limit, this thing sounds like it's running like a top.

Also what is this thing? It looks busted, and the wires coming from it are melted?

IMG_0140.JPG

stop doing that!
my butt was puckered just reading this - if you clog with weeds, dont rev to 4000! the impeller sends cooling water to your engine, clogged with weeds, less/ or no water. You're gonna melt your engine and cavitate- which will wear your impeller & wear ring. just relax and go 5 mph.
I figure you still got stuff in the jet path, but until you find the cause, please quit revving the engine like that.

Dang! I just assumed it was still getting water and was just bogged down from the weeds. Hopefully I didn't destroy something. After the first trip, I did flush the engine, (engine off), and water flowed out of it just fine. At any rate, thanks for the tip, if it happens again, Idle speed only.

I replaced the part in the picture (rectifier/regulator), which required that I install new connectors on the motor end, as they were fried. While I was in there I replaced the spark plugs, and then took it to the lake. Thankfully it seemed to run OK, about 5200 +- WOT and 41 MPH on the top end, and got on plane in maybe 3 seconds, give or take. Water was rough.

True test on whether this fixed it will be getting the family on it, and seeing how she does, but that'll have to wait for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back