3D shuts off after 10 minutes

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mopthefloor

Howdy, Brand new to this forum so I thank everyone in advance for any help with this problem. 2004 3D 782 DI - only 12 hours on it. Starts and runs perfect for about ten minutes and then gives one slight hesitation and shuts off. Will not restart for 30 minutes.
It does this everytime so here is what I've done so far. While on the water, when it quit I opened the gas cap to make sure it was venting. Didn't help. I checked the spark and it was great - so i don't think it was the coil. The plugs looked perfect too.
I can't figure out if this electrical or fuel but am leaning more towards fuel now since it has spark. The longer it sits it gets progressively better. For example. After waiting for about 15 minutes, it started and barely ran for about 4 seconds but would not stay running. After about 35-45 minutes it started and ran perfect for another 10 minutes and shut off again. It is the same pattern everytime.
No weirds beeps or warning lights at all.
Its seems like a sensor is getting hot and when it does it shuts the fuel off but I don't even know if there is such a sensor. Again, any help would be appreciated. Doug

I'm pretty sure you have an RFI, not a DI. I don't think they made 3d's DI until 2006-2007.

Sounds like a possible exhaust leak that is choking out your engine. The reason it runs better the longer it sits is probably the exhaust thins out and your engine can breathe again. Try opening the cover while on the trailer after it happens to see if it is filling with exhaust. Reason I say do it on the trailer is that the way the cover is on the 3d's, it would be really easy to get lots of water in the hull.

Also, Try cleaning out the RAVE valves. If these are not opening or getting stuck one way or the other, you will choke out your engine with exhaust as well.

It is an RFI. Sorry for the missprint. I ran it with the cover on for a while and absolutely no smoke buildup in the engine compartment. The rave valves were checked w/ the winterizing (they were perfect) about 40 minutes of runtime on it this year. I only have run the brp synthetic in it. So I guess I'm at a loss again.

Also, I get the typical 2 short beeps when I plug it in. I have taken the key on and off several times after it has stalled and it always beeps correctly and the engine turns over but doesn't start.

Hi there I'm new to this site also and have problems with a 3d
on my reserch it sounds like its getting to hot and shutting it down
there is a sensor on the top of the engine you can test with a meter
if you go on the web and request a sea-doo shop manual supplement
1998 219 100 070 and asea doo shop manual 2004 3d rfi
219100 199 they will give you all the readings pal
just one thing while you are on do you know were the earths
are located on the 3d as the manuals do not tell you that
hope this helps you mate all the best Tim

Shutting down

I had a boat that did the same thing, the fuel filter would clog and kill engine, the fuel would settle and you could start it again, only to have it die about 20 minutes later.

hope this helps

I had a boat that did the same thing, the fuel filter would clog and kill engine, the fuel would settle and you could start it again, only to have it die about 20 minutes later.

hope this helps

I was thinking that myself. It seems fuel related to me since spark is perfect even in stalled condition. I believe the filter is in the tank on this model and it has spent alot of time sitting over the past 6 years so it seems logical but glad to know it happened to someone else. Just curious was yours injected or carbed. Thanks.

I did check that sensor w/ an ohm meter and also a heat gun to make sure it was working and it checked out ok. The engine didn't seem hot at all. I could put my hand on the manifold. I wonder if there are other sensors on it that might be at fault. ie EGTS, CTS, MAPS, MATS

I was thinking that myself. It seems fuel related to me since spark is perfect even in stalled condition. I believe the filter is in the tank on this model and it has spent alot of time sitting over the past 6 years so it seems logical but glad to know it happened to someone else. Just curious was yours injected or carbed. Thanks.

it was carbed

I had the exact same problem about 4 years ago. Bought a used 3d from a guy who SWORE it ran perfectyl. HAH!!

After dying on me 3 or 4 times after about 10-15 minutes I brought it to the local Yamaha dealer. That was a waste of time an money. The mechanics had never worked on one. They all wanted to "test drive" it. They all ran into the same problem. It died after 10 minutes. Finally they concluded it was the fuel pump that needed to be replaced. Can't remember exactly, but their quote was somewhere north of $400.

I took the 3d back home and pulled the fuel pump myself. It quickly became obvious that the dealer never did. There in the bottom of the fuel tank was all kinds of crud. Looked like a mix of sand, oil, gunk of some sort. The previous owner sure was a good liar.

I clean the entire fuel system as absolutely best I could. Filled it with fresh gas and a little fuel injector cleaner.

It ran perfect and has run perfect ever since.

You ought to clean that fuel system completely as best you can starting with the fuel pump.

I really hope it works as well for you as did for me.

2002 seadoo GTX DI don't run

i have a 02 seadoo GTX di, just last week while in the lake it started to slowdown from 50-55 to 25-30 and suddenly pick up speed again for about 2 minutes,took of the water, change spark plugs,check cyl compression and it reads 110 psi on both cylenders,fuel pump 125psi,air compressor 90-100 psi,
out of the water it starts only for about 2 min then it shuts off, if i try to start it, it takes a couple of cranks before it runs for a few seconds, HELP !!!
oh,when if i remove the air compressor line from the fuel distributor at the end looks wet like fuel,not a lot and while the airline is off if i crank it it sprays gas from the air inlet is that normal?

i have a 02 seadoo GTX di, just last week while in the lake it started to slowdown from 50-55 to 25-30 and suddenly pick up speed again for about 2 minutes,took of the water, change spark plugs,check cyl compression and it reads 110 psi on both cylenders,fuel pump 125psi,air compressor 90-100 psi,
out of the water it starts only for about 2 min then it shuts off, if i try to start it, it takes a couple of cranks before it runs for a few seconds, HELP !!!
oh,when if i remove the air compressor line from the fuel distributor at the end looks wet like fuel,not a lot and while the airline is off if i crank it it sprays gas from the air inlet is that normal?

Those DI's are finicky with the fuel delivery system....DI's are High pressure systems, so if there is any kind of issue with pressure, performance will suck. It definitely sounds like some of the symptoms you have are coming from the fuel system. Of course, this is a 3d thread, so i really don't have any idea in regards to your specific ski.

i had the same problem with mine and the manual said it was the fuel pressure regulator the little silver pot on top of your fuel rail i changed mine for a one from a bmw m3 and it works fine also it could be faulty air injetors letting the fuel back into air compressor lines as i had the same probs im certain thats yours to keep us updated and all parts can be bought from ebay rather than paying dealer prices

mine use to do that.It was some of the cooling elbows where patial plugged.was getting enough water to cool untill motor and water warmed up.cleaned all elbows and great water flow.runs great and that was two yrs ago

mopthefloor

how did you solved the problem with the 3D, mine also have that problem, about 5 minutes after starting the warning light starts flashing.
after a few seconds and restart it takes at least another 5 minutes before the warning light turns on again.

greets peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back