230 wake bilge filled with water - Help pls!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingArrow

Hi all,

2007 230 Wake.

I've had some bilge problems - taking on water and then the pump burning fuses and ultimately quitting. I bought a portable pump to get me through the next day of vacation prior to trailering the boat to my dealer. Seems the leak is faster than I thought as overnight the bilge filled right up. I thought it was maybe coming from an external coolant line vs. the hull but it filled up overnight from being fully pumped out. I'm pumping it down now with the portable pump but concerned about how high the water was.

The water level was up to the battery tray. Just to the bottom of the battery which means the engines are half under water. Up to about the exhaust manifold (touching the bottom of the stainless shields at manifold exit) but well below the air intakes and below the throttle bodies.

Is there risk that any water could have been ingested elsewhere on the engine? Any risk in attempting a start once the water is out?

Any and all help/advice appreciated.

There is some risk to getting water in the engine.

I would still try to start it as soon as it is drained.

Check your exhaust for water leak. Also cooling lines.

If your exhaust has that rubber hose that attaches two metal tubes, there is a common place for large amounts of water to enter the hull. Either worked its way loose or burned a hole in it.

good luck and report back with your findings.

update

Thanks for the reply!

I'm still pumping it down. It's low enough that I decided to try and engine start. Port side started fine and sounds ok. Starboard wouldn't catch but didn't try too long as the battery is down from the portable bilge pump. I'll try the starboard engine soon. No sign of any water in the oil either so my fingers are crossed that the engines are ok.

I've also found the leak. It's under the port side muffler but can't see where it's coming from without removing the muffler. Maybe the muffler itself has a hole? Or maybe there is some mounting bolt or otherwise under the muffler that I can't see?

I will finish pumping down, try and get the other engine going and run it for a while, then take the port muffler out and try to stop the leak.

Great way to spend my last day of vacation. And the first time I've had this "new to me" boat at the cottage. Hope it is not a sign of things to come. My 15 year old bayliner was never down while at the cottage - ever!. Sheesh...

Great to hear it looks good so far!!! :hurray: If one is ok, the other most likely is also.

Another source for leaks, especially in the mufflers, is the welded bungs on the bottom. Water sits in them and rusts them out, then your hull fills up. I am assuming your ski has a pipe like mine, when I say this.

It will need to be removed, cleaned out, and TIG'd up.

Or you can do it like I did. Clean it out, drill and tap it for a 7/16" stainless bolt about 3/4" long. Use JB Weld as "lok-tite" around the threads, then fill in the inside indentation with the remainder of the JB Weld.

It has held up for 4 years now, and I removed the pipe a while back to make sure it is still holding up, and it was.

There are 4 bungs on our pipes, the top two are usually OK since water does not sit in them.

The bottom 2 are the problem, so if one is out, you may as well repair both while the pipe is out.

You're a fine man Scooper.

The second engine is alive. Man I'm relieved.

I pulled the can but you won't believe it. The can rides right on the end of a bolt end which runs through the hull. There doesn't seem to be any protection to separate the bolt from the can and it just punched through! Very poor design. I can get it welded but will need a temporary fix as I'm on an island. Time for a MacGyver.... Any suggestions on a temporary fix?

Thanks again.

web.jpg

web.jpg

JB Weld should get you into the water in 5 minutes and keep you afloat for the weekend. Slap a chunk of plywood under that thing to keep the bolt from digging in again.

When you get home, that bolt needs to be ground down to the nut.

Or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back