2020 Gtr230 top speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes69

Have a question on my 2020 gtr 230. I’m now getting 8000 rpm but top speed is only 60-61 mph is that normal?
also wondering what the main difference is between to 230 and 300 motors, is it just more boost and different impellers?
I can’t find anything on the pitch of stock impellers for the new skis.
I got this with the plan on doing some mods... I just figured the baseline speed might be a little higher.
also I have been reading that perhaps the plastic Hull is slowing me down because it’s a ruff surface?
Just wondering what speed others are getting with the 2020 gtr?

The GTR has a forced break-in period that automatically restricts the top speed during the first few (5?) hours.

my rpm was limited at first, now I’m getting 8000rpm, not sure how the speed can be limited when achieving top rpm? I’m going to put a few more hours on it today...

I get mine consistently around 67-69. All parts are the same compared to the 300 except the camshaft, pistons (cast instead of forged) and the supercharger.

Wow hopefully I magically gain that, I would be happy with 65

Make sure your oil isn't overfilled, but yeah I see a lot of people saying they hit 65 and thats it, I seem to have struck gold. Heres a screenshot from my GoPro log, neutral current, mild chop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 8.50.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 8.50.42 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 35
37 hours and the fastest it’s seen is 63mph with a 120lb rider and low fuel.
Average top speed is 59-61mph most days.
I’m disappointed with this model and will probably be getting something faster next year. Not sure how seadoo can call it a muscle craft....

My GTR-230 was going 64-69 mph at 8,000k rpm consistently. Last few rides the rpm maxes out at 7800... 64 mph max. I'm hoping it simply needs service... has 37 hours. Any thoughts? Why does rmp max at 7800?

Zekes... something is definitely wrong with yours. Look carefully at your intake and prop to make sure grass or something isn't wrapped around. If not, take it to the dealer.

My GTR-230 was going 64-69 mph at 8,000k rpm consistently. Last few rides the rpm maxes out at 7800... 64 mph max. I'm hoping it simply needs service... has 37 hours. Any thoughts? Why does rmp max at 7800?

Zekes... something is definitely wrong with yours. Look carefully at your intake and prop to make sure grass or something isn't wrapped around. If not, take it to the dealer.

is yours a 2020 as well?
Mine has never been fast... I will check the impeller but doubt it’s the problem. It just seams like a slow machine, I figured it’s the plastic hull

There are so many factors that could contribute to this. I would look at it from the outside in:

1.. What does you hull and keel look like? Are they still smooth and damage free? You would be surprised what affect a large gouge can have on top speed if it is in the wrong spot. Drag exponential and at top speeds can result in a loss of a few mph. Your ski at 230HP is pretty much drag limited as you can get around 67 MPH and that is not being limited by the ECU. 300HP skis are ECU speed limited as they can achieve higher speeds do to increased HP.

2.. Pump, Impeller, Wear Wing. If any of these are no longer in perfect condition, you may see a resulting drop in overall performance. I would inspect this for any rough edges on the impeller or wear ring.

3.. Temperature. These machines don't have oxygen sensors so they don't have the ability to trim A/F ratios based on post combustion readings. They basically have a fuel map based on MAP pressure and Throttle Position corrected by intake temperature. Your supercharger is geared to RPM so, it has a finite level of boost so there should be consistency there. Again, your engine adjusts based on intake temp, so the hotter your intake temp, the less dense the air is, = less fuel to maintain proper A/F ratios. The cooler the air, the more dense it is. The more dense it is the, the more fuel that can be added. The more fuel and air= HP. Try running your machine on a cool morning, then again in the hot afternoon. You might have different results. Also, your intercooler is what cools the intake and over time it can become less efficient do do a number of factors due to contamination etc. With the IC there is also heat soak when you shut it down after a hard run. Everything in the engine compartment is hot and absorbs that heat with no water flowing to cool it. Start it up and go for a top speed run and you will most likely have an intake temp higher than you had before when you were running it. My Speedster 260HP gained 200 more RPM with my new replacement intercooler. It is larger so will be more efficient, it also has the vent to prevent an air bubble forming in the top of the IC. This bubble can have an effect on performance due to many factors.

Again, there are even lots more factors but this might be some things to consider.

There are so many factors that could contribute to this. I would look at it from the outside in:

1.. What does you hull and keel look like? Are they still smooth and damage free? You would be surprised what affect a large gouge can have on top speed if it is in the wrong spot. Drag exponential and at top speeds can result in a loss of a few mph. Your ski at 230HP is pretty much drag limited as you can get around 67 MPH and that is not being limited by the ECU. 300HP skis are ECU speed limited as they can achieve higher speeds do to increased HP.

2.. Pump, Impeller, Wear Wing. If any of these are no longer in perfect condition, you may see a resulting drop in overall performance. I would inspect this for any rough edges on the impeller or wear ring.

3.. Temperature. These machines don't have oxygen sensors so they don't have the ability to trim A/F ratios based on post combustion readings. They basically have a fuel map based on MAP pressure and Throttle Position corrected by intake temperature. Your supercharger is geared to RPM so, it has a finite level of boost so there should be consistency there. Again, your engine adjusts based on intake temp, so the hotter your intake temp, the less dense the air is, = less fuel to maintain proper A/F ratios. The cooler the air, the more dense it is. The more dense it is the, the more fuel that can be added. The more fuel and air= HP. Try running your machine on a cool morning, then again in the hot afternoon. You might have different results. Also, your intercooler is what cools the intake and over time it can become less efficient do do a number of factors due to contamination etc. With the IC there is also heat soak when you shut it down after a hard run. Everything in the engine compartment is hot and absorbs that heat with no water flowing to cool it. Start it up and go for a top speed run and you will most likely have an intake temp higher than you had before when you were running it. My Speedster 260HP gained 200 more RPM with my new replacement intercooler. It is larger so will be more efficient, it also has the vent to prevent an air bubble forming in the top of the IC. This bubble can have an effect on performance due to many factors.

Again, there are even lots more factors but this might be some things to consider.

I will have a look at the hull and wear ring/impeller I park it on an ezport drive on dock so I will in a month or so when I take it out for the year

I just kicking myself for not getting a 300 to start lol

I am a gear head and have a disease that if the something I buy has a 1000HP option, that is what I will buy.

I have never complained that I had too much HP.

The problem comes when you buy the 1000HP model and next year comes the 1001 HP model.

Mac... thanks for the explanation. I bought two new skis this year which caused me to go lower grade. The 2020 GTR is awesome... although i regret not getting a 300hp. My second ski is a 2019 GTI 155, which reaches 60 mph and has a nice ride. Hopefully the GTR will be back to 69 mph on a cool day.

Zekes... please, take your ski to the dealer ASAP! At least pull out of the water to look at intake and prop. My GTI sucked up a piece of plastic that covered part of the intake... once i pulled it off the ski was back to normal. The GTR is amazingly fast... get the issue fixed before the end of the season... the last few mph make a huge difference. Good luck!

Zekes... please, take your ski to the dealer ASAP! At least pull out of the water to look at intake and prop. My GTI sucked up a piece of plastic that covered part of the intake... once i pulled it off the ski was back to normal. The GTR is amazingly fast... get the issue fixed before the end of the season... the last few mph make a huge difference. Good luck!

Ive been away....
pulling it out tomorrow and taking it to the dealer
hopefully they can find something that’s slowing it down

Took it to the dealer for servicing and inspection. The temperature was 1 degree celsius (33.8 Fahrenheit) still only 61mph....
I had a quick look at what I could on the trailer and it looks mint underneath? The dealer said 61mph is the correct top speed.

This was a response in an email from the dealer

“We can submit a case file to BRP to inquire about what the top speed should be of that model but it sounds like its pretty close to what it should be”

“If we also hear anything back from BRP about top speeds we will let you know.”

You should be able to hit 67/69 mph.

I have a speedster with 255 HP and I can hit 62 MPH. I also ride with others with PWC's and a couple have GTR 215's and they can reliably hit 67 MPH

At that temp, you definitely don't have a heat problem. Where are you located to get Temps like that this time of year?

Wow, that sucks. I was out last night with my kids and it was 22 degrees at 7:30 pm. The water temp is still 20 degrees at the docks where I launch.

BTW, I am on the east coast in New Brunswick.

I hope you get some better days and you can sort out your top speed issue. You should be seeing 67+ MPH.

Talked to the dealer today, they looked everything over and found nothing wrong with it. Hopefully I can get a good trade in on it
now I just have to figure out what to get next year...

Racing one design sailboats and flying airplanes for 30 years, both adhere to strict one design production standards, but from my experience with a top speed vehicle you would run into a occasional slow dog that just can’t keep up. We liked them when flying, we were paid by the hour, but in sailboat racing, and it was either hull shape or weight, they would be traded in immediately for a new boat.

Zekes...sorry to hear. The GTR is a good ski... I feel your pain... those last few mph/kph make the reason for making such a big purchase.

Did you try taking 1/2 a quart of oil out? What you are describing is exactly what it will do when the oil is at or slightly above the full mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back