2018 GTX 230 w/Sound Battery/Electrical Failure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dw428

At the end of the ‘18 season, the battery that came with the ski flashed the battery light with the extended warning beep and would not turn over after not running the ski at all for a month. Thinking this was my own fault for letting it sit for a month off a tender, I trickle charged the battery overnight, and the tender had the, “bad battery,” light on. Thinking it was a bad battery, it was winterized and a new battery was installed at the beginning of the ‘19 season. As I bought the new battery, the mechanic told me Sea-Doo’s are notorious for drawing power when sitting. (Disclaimer: This could be all of my own fault and just be because of a low battery, but I want to make sure it is not a larger electrical issue).
Life was good for the first handful of rides. While out on the water, I cut the engine off, let the sound system play (knowing it will shut off after the ski realizes it will stop playing once it cannot start the engine) and sat for no more than 2 minutes. The battery light and extended beep and the motor was then started, with success, as to not be stranded on the water and the sound system was turned off. Got closer to land, I cut the engine and no battery light/beep occurred. These same events then happened on and off over a handful of rides, my thinking was the sound system was drawing too much from the battery (I like my music loud).
Before my last ride, the ski was started out of the water (less than 15seconds run time). The ski was launched and pushed from the dock, wouldn’t start; dash lit up for a brief second, then would not light up again. The battery was charged via a tender and I went for a ride, came back in (was shut off at one point and restarted) and then docked for the night. The next day, went to trailer it, started it to make sure it would start as it was still docked and started up fine. It was undocked and hopped on it to ride it to the trailer; it was dead.
I am trying to see what is wrong whether it is user or mechanical error. Battery is under warranty, but this has happened to 2 separate brand new batteries on a brand new ski with less than 40hours on it. I’m leaning more towards an electrical issue, whether it be the stator or maybe an issue with the sound system (sound system was new for ‘18) drawing power.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

If the sound system is after market and has a amp your not the first person to have this kind of problem. If it is after market I would completely disconnect it from your electrical system, take your battery out of your ski and charge it properly and then see if the problem goes away without the sound system connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back